• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rotate M103 hitch ring?

sua_sponte_rgr

I bough a M103A3 that I'm going to use to haul wood, coal, gravel, whatever, behind my pickup. When I picked up the trailer someone suggested rotating the hitch ring on the trailer so that it would be lower and that way I would not have to have such a high receiver on the back of my truck. I got the nut that holds the hitch ring to the trailer off but I can't get the hitch ring loose to rotate it. Does any one have any suggestions? Can the hitch ring even be rotated?

The M103A3 was a wood working unit which had a couple of fitted toolboxes and a gas can holder and a radial arm saw in the back. I don't need these, does anyone have any idea what there worth. If any one is interested, local pickup only, PM me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some swift hits on the top of the lunette should break it loose. Pity your taking apart a carpenters trailer, they are quite neat. Wish I was nearby, would work out a swap for a regular M105 trailer.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: need a bigger hammer

Don't you have to move the lunette forward to rotate, as it has a locking tab of sorts on it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You do have to move it fwd. its on a tapered fit. Since its in its high position, i would strike the neck right behind the lunette and at a 45° angle towards the ring. I've been able to remove everyone I've tried in this manner, even the 1953 XM105E3.

sua_sponte_rgr

Thanks Recovry4x4 & clinto for the help. I finally got the hitch lose. I chained the trailer to a tree and ran a 4-ton come-along from the hitch to another tree. I made sure to put the hitch washer and nut back on a good 8-10 threads to prevent the hitch from flying out. I winched the come-along as much as I dared and alternating adding heat (all i had was a soldering torch) to the frame and pounding the hitch. It finally came loose after two hours. I cleaned up everything with WD-40 and a green scrub pad, added a liberal coat of anti seize and put it back together.