• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rotating Engine Stand Suggestions for 6.2

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I wonder if any of y'all have suggestions for a good rotating engine stand that is suitable for a 6.2 V8 without breaking the bank? I tried searching here for detailed anecdotes and suggestions without sufficient luck. I would love to have one of those ginormous OTC Revolver stands or something similar, since I could presumably also use it for deuce and 5-ton engines, but the prices I've seen on them are more than I want to spend. So, are there any specific models of stands which aren't too expensive (new or used), will handle a 6.2 V8 well in your experience, and will let me turn it over to get at it from the top, bottom or sides? I've read suggestions of just using an engine can, but I think I'd prefer to be able to easily turn the engine upside down while I'm working on it.

Here's why I ask: I have an excess of CUCVs (3x M1009 and 1x M1008 pickup) that I bought off GL a good while back in a fit of excess enthusiasm and poor impulse control. Assuming the DMV doesn't molest me too thoroughly with late fees, I plan to finally title and plate at least a couple of them very soon; a VIN verifier will be checking them over this weekend. I've identified one M1009 as my "keeper", and of the others, the M1008 looks like the most attractive one to either keep or sell as a good, running truck. I might either fix+sell or part out the remaining two, in part based on what sort of damage the DMV wants to title them.

Unfortunately, the M1008 makes a Bad Sound, and has "REAR MAIN" ominously grease-penciled inside the door. I don't have enough experience yet to know whether that sound indicates a bad bearing that might be worth fixing, or a cracked crankshaft that makes the engine a pile of parts. So I may just swap out that engine with one from one of the M1009s, but I should at least take a look inside to see if the Bad Sound engine is worth fixing, even if just for the learning experience.

If anybody's still with me after that wall of text, do you have any advice about models/styles/sizes of engine stands to look for or avoid? Or maybe somebody in So Cal has a rotating engine stand big enough for an NHC250 that they'd like to trade for 1-3 fixer-upper CUCVs? ;)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got one I've had for years that will hold up a 5.9 Cummins. It's built basically like the cheap ones you see, just heaver. The brand name isn't on it anymore though so I can't help with that.

When you get up into something that will hold a NHC 250 you are talking big bucks. I usually just place them on blocks and turn when needed with the forklift. You can stand them on end and get to most everything.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thanks! Is it hard to turn over an engine like a 6.2 on a non-geared rotating engine stand? The only engine stand I've ever used was a small rotating one with a VW engine hanging off of it. Would any old "2000 pound" made-in-China rotating engine stand do the trick, or would I be wasting my money on one? I've also seen geared rotating engine stands rated around 1,250 pounds for a few hundred bucks new, and I've wondered whether that sort might be better or worse.

I don't have a specific need to work on an LDT-465 or NHC250 out of the truck at this time, but I'm a tool geek and would lust over a big-buck stand that would handle one even if I didn't need it. :drool:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heavy one I've got is non-geared. It isn't too bad with heavy engines if you take the time to balance the weight when you mount it. Of course you will have to readjust your mount after you remove the heads to keep it balanced.

The one I have looks like this one- 2,000 LB. Capacity Folding Engine Stand

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Cool. That 2000-pounder looks just like the ones I've seen listed at Harbor Freight, etc., so it's good to know that they're actually usable with an engine similar to a 6.2 V8.

On the topic of geared ones, I wonder whether one like either of these might be worth the money, or junk that I'd swear at?

Omega Automotive Geared Engine Stand — 1250-Lb. Holding Capacity, Model# 31256 | Engine Stands| Northern Tool + Equipment

Sunex Tools Deluxe Geared Engine Stand — 1000-Lb. Capacity, Model# 8300GA | Engine Stands| Northern Tool + Equipment

They're rated for lower weights, so I wonder if they'd be too flimsy for a 6.2.

Pictures also attached in case the links expire.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Derp! I missed the Cornwell link the first time through. It looks just like the Sunex one I linked to, at about the same price. Probably came from the same factory, just like all of the imported bottle jacks of a given size have the same casting marks on the bottom, whether they have read paint and came from Pep Boys or silver paint, twice the price, and came from Sears. ;)

axeman

I read the engine stand shootout in hotrod mag. They tested with actual big block engine.out of five or six models, the harbor freight heavy duty won. There were no geared models though.

DieselBob

Well you asked so here is my 2cents. I had the engine out pf my pickup. 7.3L PS and used one of the $150 / 2000# stands from some tool outfit, don't remember anymore which one. This was a manual rotate stand and I can say that it did hold the engine :roll: but was a major PITA to rotate. Also didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling watching it bend and twist. After this experience, and for my own piece of mind I would spend the extra $$$ upfront, if possible, and go for this.

Attachments

DieselBob

They are a little pricey at around $1000 / $1200. Most likely not a good value for a one time use but if you are going to do several engines I would sure consider it. Probably wouldn't have much trouble selling it when your done with it.

txmytx_catahoula

I used the folding 2000 lbs engine stand from HF when I swapped 6.2's. It did rotate but it took a 3 ft cheater pipe to make sure it rotated slow enough and it will bend the cheapy bar on the back. Other than that, it's still working well.

rickf

A 6.2 is just about the same weight as a big block so the heavy duty ones will work. That said the heavier the better. I put a 502 big block on one of the ones shown with the single runner out to two front wheels, will not do that again. With exhaust manifolds that is a 1000 lb. setup and it almost folded. Get at least the one with the double front legs going out from the back. You never know what you are going to put on there next. The Ford PSD and Dodge Cummins diesels are SUBSTANTIALLY heavier than a 6.2.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks