• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rough Country Lift Kits

Timber

Sorry, I've got to go against the grain. A lift kit with new springs on front and blocks for the rear is the way to go, unless you are wanting to off-road the truck in the extreme. And if that is your plan, you'd know more about what you're asking - and that is not a slam to you at all. I'm sorry to the others that brought it up, but axle-wrap and wheel-hop induced by rear lift blocks only happens when you have the power to smoke the rear tires. It's not a concern AT ALL with a 6.2 powered truck. You can certainly buy an all-spring lift for front and rear, but you'll only be spending more than you have to.

richingalveston

i have been trying to decide what 4 inch lift to use myself. dont plan on going over 36 inch tires so why go higher.

got an M1009 and my head is spinning a little because i have looked at so much lift info lately i am not sure which way to go.

No blocks.
I think new springs are my only option for the front just not sure what to use for the best ride.
not sure on shackle change or spring for the rear i like the drive shaft angle change with the SFlip but not sure if it is going to give me the ride i want.

I want a good ride for street. and good offroad. do more mud in my area. severe articulation is not needed since i am not going rock crawling my new m1009 is to pretty to go bounce off rocks.

I welcome everyones advise on this. I am going cross over and high steer if i can.
I believe 4 inches is the minimum for both cross over and high steer. please correct me if i am wrong.

DokWatson

Sorry, I've got to go against the grain. A lift kit with new springs on front and blocks for the rear is the way to go, unless you are wanting to off-road the truck in the extreme. And if that is your plan, you'd know more about what you're asking - and that is not a slam to you at all. I'm sorry to the others that brought it up, but axle-wrap and wheel-hop induced by rear lift blocks only happens when you have the power to smoke the rear tires. It's not a concern AT ALL with a 6.2 powered truck. You can certainly buy an all-spring lift for front and rear, but you'll only be spending more than you have to.
I have axle wrap.

And if you don't plan on wheeling, don't waste money on the high steer arm. Just go regular crossover.

Timber

I have axle wrap.

And if you don't plan on wheeling, don't waste money on the high steer arm. Just go regular crossover.
The last K5 I lifted was a 76 with a Rancho 2.5" lift kit, springs front and blocks rear. I used their RS5000 shocks. It was a gasser with the 350/TH350 combo that I added the Edlebrock Performer cam/intake/carb to the engine when I had it rebuilt. It was my daily driver for 8 years and the engine/suspension performed perfectly.

The trouble with aftermarket parts is knowing where to draw the line on what you actually need - the product that will meet all your needs - versus going all-out and buying the best there is.

We all make those decisions and it's nothing new to me, take my advice with a grain of salt, your mileage may vary, etc and etc.

Cucvnut

2.5 inches is to small to notice axle hop. i had blocks on my suburban and i had a 350 in it and i had axle wrap when ever i wheeled it. it had 6 inch superlift springs and 5 inch blocks in the back. on 37 inch tall tires.

now on my M1008 I have stock rear springs thinned out with ORD shackle flip and i dont have axle wrap but I am still going to build a Torque arm any ways antiwrapbar, anti, wrap, bar, torque, arm, axle, torque arm, anti wrap bar, traction, traction bar

High steer is where the tie rod is above the axle in the back not in front of it

cross over is where you have the drag link going from a 2WD steering box to the passenger side knuckle.

I think some people dont know the difference.

Last edited:

The PIG Smith

In the Full Size Jeep Community (think Wagoneer, the original Cherokee, J Series trucks) the Rough Country lift kits are the harshest riding of all the lift kits a person can buy for a FSJ.
I had a 3" all suspension lift on a 1986 Grand Wagoneer and it felt as if I had NO suspension at all.
Had near zero flex and with the cheap tires I was using, it bounced slightly, like a large rubber tired earth mover.
Yes, I loosen the bolts at the shackles and tried jumping on the bumper to get it to break in some.
I thought after a while, it would break in and settle down...nope, never happened.
I bought different shocks and that helped slightly, but not enough to justify the cost of the shocks.
I sold it and if I ever put a all suspension lift on a FSJ again, it will be Skyjacker (very pricey but the smoothest ride) or maybe a kit from H3LL Creek.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks