• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rough running

Lild

Ok, im at a lost over this. Last monday, the 1009 ran like it was running out of gas. Get back to work, barely idles & then wont idle & cuts off. Now the same guy who helped me with the starter issue, said he felt like the truck was losing prime, told me to change the filter, & then the fuel pump if the filter was't the problem. We both figure couldn't hurt, not at least from the maitance end of things.

So i changed the filter was the same, did the bled proc., still Idled like it was on a few cylinders, & after it warmed up just cut off. I could press the gas pedal, & it would rev, but slowly. So i chanced it driving it home fri, ended up towing it home. It never cut off, but i could hold the pedal to the floor, & it wouldn't move. U thought the tranny was slipping but the motor never revved up. This was 5 miles after i left worked. At first it had power, but the further i drove it, the power got less & less.

so today i changed the fuel pump, changed the oil, still the same. Starts up fine but idles rough, so i revved the gas & held it to around 1500-2k rpms, and it sounded like it was miss firing, had white smoke come out the pipes, & when i let off the pedal, sounded like it was running on 1-3 cylinders. & then cuts off. This is after it has ran to warm up temp. But there is no smoke while idling only on high rpms. As well as the miss fire sound.

now I'm not sure what to look at. The rad. is full, oil is clean, & was black when i changed it, so as far as i can tell the water is staying where is supposed to be. I'm thinking, 1 of 3 things. Ip could be going, cracked piston ring(s)or injectors being faulty, which i have no clue to test those. So what would any of y'all think it could be?

i dont mind & currently looking thru the tms, but need some guidance to where to start looking.

thanks for the help.

jeeplvr247

Have you tried adjusting the injection pump? When mine was running a shifting rough it just took a few turns with a screwdriver and then everything was groovy. Hope this helps.

Lild

Still new at this diesel thing, how do i adjust the pump? & i owned this thing for. A week. It ran fine up untill last monday. Just cant figure why all of the sudden los of pwer.

Lild

Heres an update, since i was a lil afrraid of messing with the timeing, i decided tomtake big bubba to a indy, & let them figure out whats wrong. This probly the 3rd time i ever took one of my cars to an indy for repairs. Hopefully i'll find out whats wrong next week.

Skinny

Mine did the same thing when it was freakin cold out and had almost nothing in the fuel tank. I was running it dry because I was dropping the tank and upgradig the fuel system. Truck wouldn't idle, wouldn't accelerate, surged, and had no power. I would be looking at fuel system integrity and if you replace everything...go with a new IP.

Lild

Here's an update on the old beast. After changing the filter & fuel pump, i had no luck with bubba running. The mech i took it to put in plugs & found that not to be the problem, & then broke the bad news to me that a ip was needed. So i got one online, the guy installed it, 1k later, it now purrs like a kitten.

Its unbelievable how much better bubba runs. The guy even readjusted the shift points on it, no more hard shifts like it had before.

So in the end i put a new starter on, new fuel pump, ip, plugs (which is interesting on how he installed) so all the fuel parts are new, except injectors. So now onto the electrical conversion, & then the body work & paint.

for those who come across this on a search. Heres how i found out what went bad....
starter......had new batteries, but went to crank, sounded like it batteries were dying. The problem, the starter, could of been saved, what caused to die, missing starter bolt, caused it be miss aligned, sounded like it was dead batteries,but adventually kills starter. So check the starter before replacing battery or assuming it. And its a common problem.

Ip, well tons of post about that, different ways they go bad i guess. But with mine, it started with the tk feeling like it was running out of fuel, had plenty. A couple of times i could hear what sounded like a back fire out of the intake.i could start it, it run then cut off & it warmed up, adventually, wouldn't run unless i had my foot held down on gas pedal, white smoke but i let off it sounded like it ran on 2 cylinders then cut off. Plus it had the usual wet spots arounf the throttle springs. Plus being 20 yrs old running hard doesnt help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks