• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rough running

bomar76

Deuce ran fantastic on trip home from Roger's, but later began missing, heavy black smoke, no power, etc.
I knew it was most likely the fuel

Drained the 25 gallons of pureed pumpkin that was in my fuel tank, flushed it out, and changed all the filters.

Primary was misassembled so it really wasn't too bad.

The secondaries were HORRID...lots of water, orange slime, flakes of debris, etc.

Added 15 gallons of fresh diesel and bled out the lines (per the Continental manual) ....got rid of air and also hopefully the nasty fuel.

Deuce fired right up....but getting NO flow to #3 injector :cry:

Per Roger's suggestion I pulled the injector line and blew it out with air.

Now have flow and have bled the bejesus out of the lines to make sure no air remains.

Truck runs REALLY rough still and low power.

I'm thinking that the next step might be to pull each injector and check them....but I lack the equipment need to pressure test them.

Ideas?

Suggestions?

rdixiemiller

Pull the injector. Put it in a glass jar with the fuel line hooked up. Crank the engine and let it idle (it will be LOUD with an injector out). See if any fuel comes through the injector. It should be a nice fine spray. If not, replace the injector. If crud made it all the way through the fuel injection pump and got in the injector, it could be clogged. It could also be dripping instead of making a nice spray. That can make a diesel smoke like a tar kettle. A buddy of mine had an injector do that on his mid '80's Ford diesel, smoked, skipped, and low power. A new injector made all the difference.
Alternative: See if there is a Diesel shop in your area that can clean your injectors. Cost???
Another alternative, give Kenny (Recovery4x4) a holler. He seems to have made a career of working on multifuels. He may have a better idea.

bomar76

When the snow :mad: stops here and it wrms up a little later today (hopefully) I am going to rebleed all the injectors, try the glass jar deal, and if still no go I'll pull the injectors.
There are beau coupe diesel injector service places around here and I have used some of them in the past, just need to find one that is MultiFuel fluent.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ANY injection shop should be able to "pop" test the injectors. Run it by and let them try that.

bomar76

Thanks!
I knew the injection pump was Bosch and thought the injectors were also.
It's cold as hell and the wind is howling out there, so dunno if that project will get accomplished today.

Loose Deuce

It wouldn't hurt to check that Air Filter either. I though mine was ok till I changed it, Mine ran a lot better after that. My dirty air filter indicator wasn't showing anything either. May not help yours but it did mine. [thumbzup]

bomar76

This was a fairly sudden loss of power, rough running, missing condition, so short of sucking up a seagull I don't see how a air cleaner restriction could happen in that time frame.
It ran 100% up until then.
We checked the filter and blew it out while we were changing fuel filters anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks