• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

route clearance lights on Deuce

uh60

20140204_160243.jpg20140204_160249.jpg I've been thinking of mounting a pair of route clearance lights above the winch. I have not drilled the holes yet to mount the lights. Any thoughts on how they look above the winch:?:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't think they look that great there, but I do believe in function over form. I would try them out and see how they work there. If they work good, I'd keep them as is.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think they look really fragile there.

Tin Medic

For me I think they would be a better fit on either side of the winch between the headlights and turn signals. Function wise they would seem to provide a better fron/side illumination mounted on the bumper.

eagle4g63

Personally I like having my winch top plate clear so I can stand on it when doing things in the engine bay......I added mine to the bumper mount plates on either side of the winch and love them there, they add tremendous amount of light and no weird shadows. Plus there is already holes in them, so no drilling!!

Here's a couple of older pics of my truck.

Attachments

uh60

I agree they just don't look right on top of the winch mounted on the 3/8 rectangular tube being used as a winch top plate. mounting them on either side of the winch will look better. Thanks for the thoughts on the subject!

I mounted mine in the same location that eagle4g63 did. Used the existing holes, wired them up to work when high beams are on with my LED headlights. Burn your retina if not careful !!!

TacticalDoc

Looks better on the bumper or fender. I think the route clearance lights are ugly. A light bar looks better.
If you're going to put it on top of the winch get an LED light bar.
0907or_01_z+installing_led_lights+light_bar.jpg

Or, get one of these;
$_57.jpg

Last edited:

uh60

I went with the bumber mount. I plan to draw power from the brights and switch the ground. I plan to fab a guard using a 8 inch u bolt and puting a 90 deg bend at the threds and drilling two holes in the bumper to mount. Maybe weld a round piece of expanded steel or some type ofsteel mesh at the radius.

Artisan

I removed the OE "C" channel from the top of the winch and replaced it with a much heavier,
I think it is a 8" x 2" x .25" thick structural, replacing the OE in the same spot and added a
Pioneer tool rack, some RCL's and some IR's. The more ship I have hangin' on my truck
the more I like it... :)

front1.jpg front2.jpg front3.jpg front4.jpg front5.jpg

Carlo

Personally I like having my winch top plate clear so I can stand on it when doing things in the engine bay......I added mine to the bumper mount plates on either side of the winch and love them there, they add tremendous amount of light and no weird shadows. Plus there is already holes in them, so no drilling!!

Here's a couple of older pics of my truck.
i think your right. I climb all over the front bumper when I am checking the motor over.

uh60

I decided on building a light bar to mount the lights over the cab. I started with 2 5 foot pieces of 1 1/2 inch sch 40 pipe and 6 and 1/2 feet of2 by 4 5/16 tubing. I used a broach drill to drill two 1 7/8 holes 50 inches apart. The 1 1/2 pipe fits in the holes and the weight of the tube rest on the top of the pipe. I then drilled 9 9/16 through holes to mount the lights. I drilled 1 inch holes 4 inches from the end of the pipe so when welded to the tube the holes are 2 inches from the bottom of the tube. I set the pipe in the two 1 7/8 inch holes then welded the pipes to the tube. After painting I mounted the light rack to the rear of the cab. I used 6 2 inch u bolts that I had to spread to 2 1/4 inch. Every thing fit perfectly. I will need to wait to run the wire until next weekend.20140228_171238.jpg20140228_171341.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks