• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RPMs and air leak

redneck20

two unrelated issues..
84 m932 w/ stock 11-20 tires

first

when driving on the highway my tach says the truck is running about 2450 rpm while doing 55. 55 is max speed so thats where it is governed. the rpms should be governed at about 2150 right? i know the speedo is correct as ive checked with a gps. i also know the 855 cummins should be ran that high. is there another way to check rpm? are the tachs a common problem?

second,

after diving home last night i got out of the truck jumped in my pickup and went to the store. when i returned home i heard a large amount of air coming from behind the radiator, i think. by the time i got the hood unlatched the air shutoff, it sounded like a valve closed because it was an instant off, not pressure bleeding down. im leaning toward the fan clutch? thinking that since motors get hotter as they sit it had turned on after i left, then cooled down and shut off before i could get the hood open. am i on the right track?

armytruck63

You can look into buying a laser tachometer from Monarch Instruments or another manufacturer. Put a piece of reflective tape on the crankshaft pulley and compare the laser tach readings to what soldier B reads on the dashboard tach. PM me if you want more info.

By the way, I like to cruise my M923 with the 1100x20 tires at 1900 RPM or so, which works out to a leisurely 49 to 51 MPH.