• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RRAD Rebuld questions

DocPA

If an '89 M923A1 was refurbed at RRAD in june of '04 with 28600 miles on it would the motor have been rebuilt? If so would there be a tag on the motor somewhere saying that and giving the bearing specs? There is a tag on the dash confirming the refurb. The numbers on the truck say "NLOPX3" anyone know where that might have come from? Was there a standard to these refurbs or was it whatever happened, happened? Is there anyway to actually tell if the motor was replaced/rebuilt? Anybody know the "Correct" tow bar and feet to use on these m923's ? I don't want to use a Tek bar.
Thanks Doc :tigger:

R Racing

If the engine was good they would just remove it and pressure wash it and put fresh paint on it. If I remember correctly only the 1s with major problems were replaced.

R Racing

I have a 2011 rrad rebuild. They did what they had to to get them functional. Some people have had issues with there rebuilds. Some say there great.

A medium tow bar with 1 inch pins should do the job .

If the engine was replaced the data tag on the injection pump should have a newer date than the year of the truck.

R Racing

I have seem that on the RMS trucks and believe they would do it at rrad to . I will say the rrad truck I have is a very tight truck as far as the cab is concerned. They did a great job on sealing them up. But mine had a few other issues I'm still working on.

DocPA

Issues such as what? Is there a way to tell where the truck was based at? This guy selling it insists it was a socal truck that never saw bad weather. If they yanked the motor and painted them did they always use black?

R Racing

Air pressure issues . I'm still digging in. I replaced the air governer and check valves. But same issue. It won't build air over 60 lbs without reving up the engine. The compressor looks new. But it could be the nice paint job. I'm thinking the unloader valve on top of the compressor. Also I have paint peeling in spots down to bare metal. Back on the engine paint it's like a charcoal black or dark graphite color.

R Racing

The bumper numbers should tell you where it was stationed. There is a post on here by carnac. He may be able to tell you that. It's a Vin number post.

SLOrazorsedge

I have a 2011 RRAD rebuilt 1989 M923A1. The motor was painted black and appears to be a NOS motor with a bright data tag 30Sept2011. Much of the truck has brand new parts to include a NOS cab as well.

mikey

I have an M931A2 RRAD overhauled in 2012. It went right from RRAD to auction and I even got the RRAD paperwork on the floor of the truck and CARC overspray on the treads of the tires. I'm not impressed and the truck has had problems since day 1. Most are minor, but don't expect a "like new" truck from RRAD. In some areas they painted over heavy rust and the CARC is flaking off, the transmission pan leaks and the gasket needs replacing, the air dryer lasted less than a month, the speedometer doesn't work and there is an issue with a wheel bearing.

Mikey

R Racing

Ok after digging around I found out my RRAD truck has a new engine in it. The truck is a 87 . the engine tag shows the engine was new from Cummins in 3/10 The truck was rebuilt in 7/10 which would make cense .

spartan_185

I guess I got lucky with the last RRAD rebuild that I got. I liked it so much that I decided to keep it for myself. It was rebuilt in 2013 and the tag on the engine concurs with that date. It seems to be a top level rebuild vs some that I have had in the past. Some that I have been through in the past have had different defects that were most likely missed during the rebuild process but were usually easily corrected. Some have had more major issues such as bad oil coolers, wheel and axle seals out, or poorly installed drivetrain components. I have had quite a few rebuilds with date codes on the tires that were older than the rebuild date. Which means that they probably were not replaced during the rebuild process. Fortunately my personal truck ended up with 6 goodyear AT-2A tires that were manufactured in January 2013.

corvette9

I have one that was rebuilt 11/11. Everything works as it should, all new matching tires, even the CTIS works. Truck drives great. I never looked for a rebuild tag on the eng. If I wanted another one I would look for the most recent rebuild I could find again. This ones a keeper.

Gunzy

RRAD trucks are real hit and miss on the O/H's. I know accompany that bought a 2011 RRAD O/H and it had a seized engine with a 2010 build date on it. In my opinion you should always get your own eyes on the truck, inspect it, and see how it runs first before buying. GP inspects them but I wouldn't take that as a guarantee it is a good truck. Remember, buyer beware and there is a sucker born every day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks