• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rt-246

cfish

Sorry for the dumb questions I'm about to ask. I just purchased a bunch of radio equipment. I was after the RT-246 for my M1009. The radio came with an antennae base. Its a 6067. IS this the correct base for this radio? I need to find the antennae for it. Where can I go to purchase the antenna. My M1009 alreay has a base on it but I have been told it is for the Sincars radio. It is not a 6067. With the radio came a remote control box, I believe its for changing the channels the front of the vehicle remotely. Will the antennae cable I currently have for the sincars radio work with my 6067 base and 246 radio? I was also given 5 or 6 different headsets with mike booms on them. Each head set came with a set of wires that fork off to 2 conectors. I played around and figured out that one jack from the headset goes in the mike connector on the radio and the other the goes in the speaker conector. One of these 2 connectors has yellow on the cable. Which one is the speaker and which one is the mike? Do I need to set up the remote seaker if I have the headset hooked up? Part of the headset is a small box with a switch that is labeled ICS RAD. Does the ICS mean Intercom system? ANd the RAD mean Radio? WHere does this switching box mount. It has a harness system with it and seems like it mounts on your body.
Sorry for the long questions. I am new to this radio equipment and am lost. Any guidance would be a great help.
Thanks

wsucougarx

Hi there, you will need the MX-6707 antenna base along with the AS-1729 antenna. I've gotten all of my gear on ebay. The MX-6707 will need two cables. The first cable is the coaxial cable and the second is the frequency cable that tells the MX-6707 to match the radios channel. The SINCGARS AS-3900 antenna base is not designed to go with the VRC-12 family of radios.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing you need to do is to download and study the VRC-12 series TM's. The RT-246 has 10 preset frequencies and no speaker, while the RT-524 has two big dials and a speaker. Otherwise they are the same radio. Now since the main frequency that these operate on that is also available to civilians is the six meter band (around 51 Mhz), you may not need the control cable because you can manually set the MX-6707 for that band. To listen, you will be all set, to transmit, you will have to have a license (HAM ticket).

tsstout

If the remote box is a C-2742 then it will allow changing the preset channels and power setting on the the rt-246, but not the rt-524, remotely... Well as far as the cable reaches anyway. Yes, ICS is intercom system and RAD is radio... Only problem with headsets in a 1009 is you're cut off from surrounding noise when it's not necessary.. In a larger, noisier truck it's needed... The 3900 will work for receive, but trans is shaky depending on frequency, because the 3900 is not adjustable... The 6707, if used with the frequency cable WSU mentioned, will adjust as you change channels on the radio.. and have full trans capability... If your licensed...

cfish

Thanks guys. I have the 6707 base, now I need to track down the antenna. I have an external speaker but it doesn't want to fit over the cannon plug. I don't know if the small bumps are worn and not engaging with the female side. Also, do I need the remote channel selector? Last question, are the TM's for this radio here on the forum or where can I go to find them?
Thanks again

tsstout

You do NOT need the C2742... Of course mounting options of the radio makes it nice occasionally... My radio stack is in the box of my deuce and it's nice to be able to handle the 246 in the cab... I got a DVD of most of the radios for cheap off ebay... Don't remember numbers right now.. can find out if needed... The TM's will help with connections and cables... which is the tough part of assembling these 40+ year old radio systems...

cfish

The good news is my rack was already set up in my cucv. All the power and antenna wires are run. This afternoon, I took the top off the radio and gently cleaned the dust out of it. It was surprisingly clean inside. I racked it and atteched the antenna to it and powered it up. I did not transmit at all. The auto tune feature worked as well as the light. I have n external speaker for it and have since found out it is the correct speaker for the unit. Only problem is I can't get the cannon plug to work. The headset plug I have is exactly like the speaker plug and the headset plug goes on nicely. I can't tell it the connector is bent or something keeping it from going on. I appriciate all the help.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manuals are available free for downloading, you may just have to look a little. check liberatedmanuals.com for specific manuals, after you have looked through Brooke's site - prc68.com for some background on the radios and exactly what TM's to look for. There is a separate TM for each vehicle and configuration of radios. The combinations I've seen are - single rt, rt + r-442, 2 rt's, and 2 rt's with an R-442. The R442 allows you to monitor another frequency which is useful in combat. Battalion and brigade commanders often had multiple radios.

BillIdaho

The speaker should be a LS454. (An LS166 or the newer plastic one will not work.) The coax cable should be a CX1773 ( from my archived chronologically advanced memory), the cable that changes the MX 6707 is a CX-4722. When you change frequencies on the RT246, you should hear a clicking sound come from the MX6707 whilst it searches for the proper freq on the tuneable (the MX6707).
There should be a yellow marker on the control box, whether it be a c2299 or the intercom box that matches up with the cables on your headest Y-cord.
What you MIGHT have already mounted on the rig is an AB-15 for the R442 mentioned above. Technically, you probably should be able to remove the AB15 (or equivelant) and replace it with an MX6707.

cfish

The speaker is a LS454 marked on its data plate. The connector just wont connect. I wonder if something might be bent on the speaker side connector.

salt6

Check the o ring inside the plug. Sometimes they need to be lubricated, spit on the end of your finger and rub it on lightly then install.

BillIdaho

AND it must be rotated properly. I was taught to rub the bridge of your nose (where your glasses rest-if you wear glasses) with your finger and rub that into the connector on the O ring. The oils in your skin lube it just right.
I have also seen numerous LS454's with different cords/connectors installed as well. I've seen the older GRC style connectors, in addition to regular phone jacks wired into LS454's. (There is a chance one could have an LS166 if it has the GRC style connector! That's what it's supposed to have.)

cfish

Thanks guys. I compared it to the connector on the headset that goes onto radio just fine. They look exactly the same. I will check the O Ring.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two things about those connectors: 1. There is only one position when they are installed that the pins will be in direct contact when they are locked together. Figure that part out, remembering the slight twist they need to lock, and 90 percent of your problems will go away. 2. The locking part is done by compression, so you have to push down and twist at the same time - some of the springiness in the connector on the cord may have set too long and is no longer flexible (compressible actually) which makes pushing and turning more of a opportunity in frustration (problem).

cfish

I figured out which way it goes on and I am familiar with the compressed(spring loaded connectors. I will check to see if the speaker end connector is locked up and not moving. One last question. Will the coaxial cable that was in my cucv, that was connected to the 3900 base, work with my 6707 base and 246 radio?

papakb

The AS3900 SINCGARS antenna base will work just fine with your RT-246 and that'll eliminate the multipin control cable between the radio and the antenna. The lower fiberglas antenna section has a larger threaded base to mount the antenna but the upper section will work fine. The coaxial cable is the same for both radios.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

cfish

Well, I got it all up and running. I put the 6707 base on and antenna, I have the cable hooked up that tunes the antenna. I finally got the speaker to connect up and it works. Got the handset hooked up and it tunes automaticaly and the antenna tunes along with the radio. Now I'm going to get my Ham license over the summer. Thanks for all the help guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks