• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rt-524 hisses

Steamynachos

Hi guys I just got a rt-524 and when i plug it into my mt1029 it doesn't do any thing but hiss no lights no transmit seems dead other than the hiss from the speaker no hiss on hand sets though. when I plug my am2060 in to the tray it works ok so what could be wrong with this unit the guy I got it from tested it and said it worked before he shipped it to me. Any ideas?????????????

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What frequency do you have it set on? Do you have an antenna connected? Please post a picture of how you have it set up (IE, ready to receive/transmit) including all cables and accessories plugged in.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is some basic troubleshooting of the RT-524 radio in the manual, it might help you out.

Also, as a side note, BE SURE your antenna cable is new or excellent condition, and your antenna base is in good working order. Worst thing to do is send the amplified RF final output into a faulty cable/antenna which will fry your radio.

Steamynachos

I have the power cable hooked up to the j21 on the 1029 tray then the radio is mounted in the tray the antenna is connected and is mounted on the truck I also have the ant. Tuner cable hooked up. When I power the unit on a quiet hum comes from the speaker its not the kind of normal radio hiss it does it when I have the speaker off or on I can't adjust its volume it does it on every freq. It doesent recive or send or do anything it just hums when I hook up an external speaker nothing comes out it just seems like its dead other than the hum

Fred431

This might be a dumb question It sounds like it might be a polarity problem. Do you have the correct wires to pos and neg Also you said that you hooked a AM2060 in the mount and it worked Was the PRC25/77 mounted in it and did the radio function properly If it did I would pull off the covers of you 524 and check to see if all the modules are there. A 524 with all the cables attached you should hear the ant matching unit turn to match the dial freq when the unit is turned on. The other thing you could do is find a buddy with a known working mount and try your 524 in it. If it works then your problem is in the mount or elswhere. Iyour radio doesnt work in a known mount then the problem is more than likely a defective radio

Fred

Steamynachos

Well i checked the mount and the power cable for the vic-1 was installed on the tray and there is no intercom so i unplugged that cable and tried it she hummed for a few seconds then warmed up like an old tv and came to life. so just having that cable plugged in made me go mad for a few days. thanks for all your help guys.[thumbzup]

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that cable is shorted or something, that shouldn't have affected that... One thing also that can cause that is if the xmode plug is loose, I've seen them unscrew apart and not maintain connection. Also if the jbox is connected, they have caused me problems in the past, although all mine have them still..

Glad you got it running, mark that cable, if you put in an intercom, you might save some trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks