• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

RT524 PRC77 GRC-160 Range info HELP

wsucougarx

I am looking at outfitting one or two of my deuces with a military radio set up. I have been getting all kinds of opinions on what the ranges are on different radio setups. Does anyone have any factual info on the different radio setups w/regard to ranges or real life info. I know range will be dependant on terrain etc. What are the optimal ranges given the optimal conditions and terrain on the following set ups.
1. PRC-77 using the 3 ft semi-rigid steel tape antenna (back pack)
2. PRC-77 using the 10 ft whip antenna (back pack)
3. PRC-77 mounted in a deuce in the GRC-160 configuration w/vehicle antenna
4. RT-524 mounted in a deuce w/vehicle antenna

I did search high and low in the forum and really didn't find anything. Is there an optimal setup that everyone is partial to? I am after long range but do like the portability of the PRC set. However, if the PRC has a vast difference in range compared to the RT524 then portability will take a back seat.
Thanks

B3.3T

You are going to get different opinions because there are so many variables. One you did not mention is the receiver and their setup? No matter what setup you use, they do not compare with modern equipment for a fraction the weight and trouble, so don't expect miracles. Be aware, too, the legal limits on what you can use as well.

wsucougarx

Ok, the receiver is the same equipment that is being transmitted. From deuce to deuce with like equipment from the same line of sight in the same terrain etc.

Fred431

I would use the RT524 that radio puts out 35 watts of RF power The Prc-77 only puts out 2 watts. The more power you use the greater the range in most cases also the antenna used is a big factor

jwaller

terrain and humidity and 100 other things contribute to range. tops in best condition vehicle to vehicle is about 30 miles. I have the RT524 in my hmmwv and 30 is as far as I've used it and that was a stretch.

Fred431

Based on my use in the military vehicle to vehicle can be as low as 5 miles and up to 10 miles. If you are going to use a base antenna (RC292)much greater distance. as far as the PRC-77 about a mile the AM2060 only eliminates the battery and allows you to use it like a RT524 it does not increase your RF output. Its all about the terrain. No one can give you a definate answer about range

Carl_in_NH

Like Fred said - there's no answer. I've been involved in communications systems since '72 - there's just too many variables involved to give a definitive answer.

You can come up with gusstamets, rule-of-thumb answers, and typical performance - all based on a large amount of 'typical' conditions for the variables - which may or may not have a lot to do with your radio installations, the terrain you're communicating over, noise and interference you've got to overcome at both transceiver locations, and a myriad of other factors.

The best one can ever really say is, YMMV.

wsucougarx

Yah I know there are a ton of variables out there. I just wanted a comparison b/w the ranges of the different radio setups with the same terrain and outside conditions. My plans are to buy two of the same radios and install them in 2 or 3 of my deuces. So basically just knowing the PRC-77 to PRC-77 and RT-524 to RT-524 ranges. I just wanted to have a foundation to compare. I do like the portability of the PRC but the range of a RT. I just wanted to hear something like this: given the exact same conditions the PRC-PRC will transmit 5 miles whereas the RT-RT will transmit 20 miles. So a difference of 15 miles will definately outweigh my portability wants.

Carl_in_NH

2-5 miles between two low power radios with decent 1/4 wavelength antennas mounted with a good ground plane (like mounting the antenna in the center of your hard top - mounting to the side of something will result in a asymmertic pattern, favoring one side) would not be unreasonable. The higher powered radios, 25-30 miles - line of sight without obstructions in between - would also be reasonable. Again, we're assuming many things that may or may not be valid.

Remember these radios are also quite old, and not state-of-the-art in terms of performance. You'd likely do better with modern radios - but also loose the military appeal of the older sets.

Fred431

Another concern is what frequency are you planning to operate on I beleave these are wide band fm radios and are not compatible with commercial radios in the commercial band .You will splash over into several adjacent channels causing problems. The best place to operate will be in the 6 meter ham band in which you will need a ham licence to legally operate.

Chief_919

Another concern is what frequency are you planning to operate on I beleave these are wide band fm radios and are not compatible with commercial radios in the commercial band .You will splash over into several adjacent channels causing problems. The best place to operate will be in the 6 meter ham band in which you will need a ham licence to legally operate.
Definitly have to agree here.

The ONLY way to legally operate these radios is with a ham license in the 6m ham band. Even if you could get an FCC license for a low band buisness frequency, the miitary radios are not FCC type accepted and not legal for use on those frequencies.

Carl_in_NH

The Chief and Fred are correct - no type acceptance. I don't believe these radios do small frequency steps, either - and you'll want 5 KHz steps to work other stations not running military radios. If you only wish to work between your own two stations, that's not a factor.

Chief_919

The Chief and Fred are correct - no type acceptance. I don't believe these radios do small frequency steps, either - and you'll want 5 KHz steps to work other stations not running military radios. If you only wish to work between your own two stations, that's not a factor.
Plus the wideband deviation- any commercial stations will have very low audio on his end and he will sound very bad on the commercial rigs set up for narrower deviation.

Carl_in_NH

Plus the wideband deviation
Could be dealt with by turning the transmit deviation down, and using more receive audio - but it would be nasty to listen to when signals got scratchy.

Best of both worlds; put in military radios for looks - but add some modern narrow-band radios, hidden out of sight, and use those for communications. Wire them to your intercom and use a pair of Dave Clark headsets, and you're good to go.

wsucougarx

Thanks guys. Yah, my concern is only operating b/w the two radios for emergency use only. We've gotten way too much in the way of flooding around here and wierd weather. I went to the FCC site for amateur radio licensing and all that. I really didn't find any info on testing or where to go to test. I looked for somekind of PDF file for study reference and found nothing. Any ideas on where to look so I can get started on the licensing thing?

Carl_in_NH

Mike - let us know if there's anything we can do to be of assistance in your quest to become a licensed radio amateur. There's a number of us on the forum that are 'hams', and I'm sure everyone of them would be happy to help.

Fred431

First you get hooked on green MV's Then you get hooked on green radios to go with them You then talk locally with PRC-77 and RT524 then you graduate to the big league with a GRC-106 and talk to the world with a ham licence all done with military radios. Its a sickness with no known cure

Fred

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks