• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rubber coating for parts near battery?

hmmwv-newbie

Where can I get some more of the rubber coating they used on all these bolts that are near the battery. I'm paranoid about arcing the battery with the seat cover...

tobyS

Use a sheet of plastic or good foam. I had one that had arced a lot. But it won't go through plastic. Bed spray for the coating.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't the seat base plastic?, sure makes it a PITA to work on.
That was done to help prevent corrosion when submerged in water, and will do the opposite unless completely sealed.
Notice in the picture above they originally even put it on the negative connections which do not need to be protected from shorting.

thoner7

No the HMMWV does not have an isolated ground
Unrelated but, are those grounding harnesses I see many people installing truly necessary? I have a Rev truck and I’m wondering if any problem that may have existed has since been fixed at the factory

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issues that people are trying to fix on 30 year old trucks with a supplemental grounding harness is bad connections/corrosion on the existing ground points. The added harness does help if you have electrical issues, but about the same amount that going through and properly cleaning the current ground points and other connections would do.
I don't think they really improved much in the way of connections with the newer trucks, but if yours hasn't spent a lot of time near salt water or been submerged, then it's unlikely you'll have any of those issues yet.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Unrelated but, are those grounding harnesses I see many people installing truly necessary? I have a Rev truck and I’m wondering if any problem that may have existed has since been fixed at the factory
Definitely save your money. Those grounding kits will work - but spending a weekend cleaning every point of contact and a tube of anti-oxidant paste will make a lot of gremlins go away...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks