• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rubber Floor Mat - M1009

cmroles

Has anybody installed the polyvinyl floor mat that LMC Truck sells for the Blazer? My original rubber floormat was literally falling apart so I just donated it to the weekly trash pickup.

My original thought was just to use a "spray-in" type bedliner material in the truck, but after seeing the mat that LMC sells I'm interested.

The LMC mat is supposedly vacuum molded off an original floor pan for a perfect fit, and has 36oz jute sound-deadening attached.

I'm now thinking of "painting" the passenger floorpan with POR15 to prevent rust and then installing one of these.

Thoughts?

Whit

Yes. I did exactly what you are planning, just a few weeks ago.

I put POR-15 on the floor (both sides), using fiberglass patching material (which I just covered over in several coats of POR-15) where the rust had broken through. I also painted on a bedliner. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation as that stuff smells!

The mat from LMC was too large and I had to trim to fit. And the mouldings weren't in exactly the right places. And the jute padding needed trimming too, even though it was overall too small! I supplemented the jute padding with that two sided mylar-type insulating material from Lowes for a little extra insulation. Overall, I was not too thrilled with it, as it turned into a much bigger job than a "custom" fit would suggest, but the finished product is OK and functional.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cmroles

Yes. I did exactly what you are planning, just a few weeks ago.

I put POR-15 on the floor (both sides), using fiberglass patching material (which I just covered over in several coats of POR-15) where the rust had broken through. I also painted on a bedliner. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation as that stuff smells!
How much POR15 did it take to do the floor (one side)? That stuff is expensive and I don't want to pay for any more than necessary!

EDIT: Too bad about the LMC mat. I may not bother if its going to be that much work. Maybe I'll just look for a decent "military" replacement....

Whit

I used a quart and a half. That covered pretty much all of floor pans and the cabin (forward of the bed part). In some areas I had to go two or three coats of the stuff, along with laying down the fiberglass cloth and painting over it. With the leftovers I then went underneath and painted it on the exposed rust surfaces to encapsulate the rust.

A couple pointers: 1) I had a lot of rust on mine, which created holes in the floor. I used a high intensity light to shine up from below to tell me where I needed to apply more. 2) POR also sells a tube of thicker version of POR 15 which acts as body filler. About the consistency of toothpaste, it is used to plug holes. Works great, hard as nails. 3) Protect yourself really well with gloves, long sleeve shirt, etc, as that stuff gets EVREYWHERE and it is a PITA to get off. I laid cardboard out underneath the vehicle as well. 4) Before applying the POR I took a power washer and hit the (stripped) interior of the vehicle hard (making sure not to get anything wet under the dashboard) there was a lot of bleach smell that came out of the vehicle. I then dried the vehicle out thoroughly by leaving it set for a couple weeks in the garage before hitting it with the POR.

Despite the elbow grease, I was very glad I did all that. The POR was expensive, but I am confident that it has fixed the situation permanently which is more than can be said for some of the water based products out there.

BTW, the bed of the vehicle had no rust on it, and I did coat it with standard water-based bedliner. That came out well too. I got mine at NAPA, and after applying it noticed that Wal Mart had a similar product with e reputable manufacturer for less than half the price......

Hey, good luck with your project!

Last edited:

cmroles

Since the LMC mat is not looking like a good option, does anybody have a suggestion for an alternative rubber-type covering that would allow the installation of some sound deadening? I have no plans of making this a "quiet" truck, but would like to be able to actually talk to passengers while on the freeway....

Thanks!

OL AG '89

I need to get a Db meter and check mine out... I don't feel that it's really that loud on the freeway with windows up......
Maybe I'm just a little more "hard of hearing" than I think????
What??? I couldn't hear yourofl