• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rubber track install

wehring

OK folks. Some of you know the drama I have gone through to find/buy a set of rubber tracks for my XM474 (M113 variant). Well, they are finally here and I am in the middle of an install.

As an added bonus I decided to drill my road wheels to look like FV432 wheels with the decorative holes.

The kit was supposed to be complete but I had to build 8 road wheel spacers and find longer studs for the road wheel hubs. I am at a stopping point until tomorrow when the studs arrive.

Here are some pics... hope you enjoy. This is the same machine I recently titled and registered in TX for on-road use. Now with the rubber tracks it will be my weekend burger run ride....

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a scale of one to ten, that machine is totally sweet. Seems like the perfect family tracked vehicle. I need one.

wehring

yes but...

This conversion has no permanent mods... but for me this is a one-way ticket. I just woke up from a several hour nap needed because of the tear down in this South Texas heat really kicked my rear today. Taking the tracks off was hard enough. I can't imagine how hard it would be to put a set of steel tracks back on.

I too think it is a perfect vehicle. The best description I can think of is a tracked pickup. The rubber tracks will drop the weight to 11,000#. It is easily pulled behind a one ton pickup.

After I am done tomorrow I will have had all of the track changing party I can stand.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

Norwegian Rubber Tracked M113s

Here is a video of the Norwegians rocking their Rubber tracked M113s. The tracks are rated for 8000 miles on the M113 (30K#) so they should last a long time on my 11K# track.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPgxhgRtn4[/media]

Justin

wehring

Surprised...

I am really surprised that you guys are not busting on me for poking holes in the road wheels. The purists used to wait to pounce when i was posting bobber threads...

Justin

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead approves!

:doghead:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am really surprised that you guys are not busting on me for poking holes in the road wheels. The purists used to wait to pounce when i was posting bobber threads...

Justin
I'm not a fan of the holes - they look kinda weird if you ask me. But, it is your track, you can change it as you wish.

Just be advised, when I make my millions, and I buy your track, I'll put it back the way it was. ;)

wehring

Millions...

When these millions arrive you come see me... I will help you "invest" it. You will be driving down the road with the only race car track that is licensed for road use and is clad with 8 M240s and a minigun.... oh, and holes in the road wheels.

It is 7a and I am waiting like a dog on the porch for Fedex to deliver the studs.

Justin Wehring

L1A1

Never noticed the holes in the wheels on the FV432s but on some of the British WWII stuff it does look kind of cool. Think it was done to aid suspension-oops my bad, I meant the tires not the actual wheel rim..

How fast will that XM474 go, Justin?
Matt

Last edited:

jets1959

Looks like you had a lot of mud and dirt between your road wheels. The holes should aid in cleaning this area. Just my humble opinion! Very cool rig by the way. Very jealous!!!

jbingvtx

:D You have some of the coolest builds/vehicles! I for one miss the bobber threads. How did the 900 series converted to 4x4 with air ride turn out? I lost that thread and never saw the finished truck.

jaxsof

Justin
So, Justin, are you saying youre considdering bobbing this, too. lol A few holes, heck any modification made out of necessity, is almost always understood, but to go and bob a perfectly good vehicle?

(you brought it up)

wehring

tracks

WGT, Thanks for the good word.

I owe NDT a tall cold one after today. He works like a pack mule. THANK YOU.

Now for the trip up. The kit came with 2 road wheel spacers (should have 10) so I had some made identical to the 2. I also bought 80 new longer studs to go with the spacers because the original studs are not long enough. Well after spending the day knocking out the original studs and replacing them with the longer studs, assembling the road wheels/spacers and then installing the track... THEY DON'T FIT! I need to make some thicker spacers and buy some longer (again) studs then repeat today's work.

NDT said it best... "hey this is what happens when you work on the Green". I can really feel the extra pounds of sympathy baby weight I have put on since my wife became pregnant. (Yes, that is my story and I am sticking to it)... I am tired.

The project is on hold for the next 2 weeks because I leave on work travel tomorrow. However, THIS PROJECT WILL GET DONE. I use this machine too much to have it down. Out of spite (and defiance) I pulled the other steel track off tonight to reinforce the conviction of there is no going back...

Now for some much needed rest.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

light bulb...

I have been pouring over the drawings and instructions for this kit trying to figure out what is going on with the anomaly...

1. The 2 "road wheel spacers" in the kit were actually idler wheel outer rings.
2. The longer studs and road wheel spacers are most likely still on the machine that this kit was tested on because I received all of the original M113 studs with this kit and no road wheel spacers.

I have too much German in me to just roll over and show my pink side to this setback. I expect to have this resolved and parts in-hand by the time I return.

Time for sleep... Thanks again NDT.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

littlebob

Keep up the good work Justin! We always appreciate whatever you bring to Tim's place every Spring. Wish it wasn't a four hour drive or I'd come over and lend a hand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks