• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rubber track install

wehring

wheel

Drive it on... I wish it were just that easy. :grd:

The track was hitting the idler wheel arm in that pic. I could not get the wheel to fully seat against the hub flange because of this. The arm needs to rotate to the rear of the vehicle for it to clear. In the pic I have the adjuster bracket removed and the arm is all the way forward.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If someone wanted to buy it as it was BEFORE the rubber track mod (original), could they????

wehring

buy it...

It will leave me short-sheeted because I would not be able to complete the conversion but... Yes. I have not yet cut the body so speak now or forever hold your peace. I expect to cut it this week or by the latest next weekend.

I have a line on some M113s so I will hold on to the kit until/if they come along.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Danger Ranger

You're crazy....and thats that. Holy cow what a project. Never would I attempt it, nor stare at those price figures very long, they make me dizzy....

It is one sweet machine, and I completely understand the rubber track reasons. I myself would just bold chunks of mudflaps on the steel tracks....but only because I am too much of a realist to pretend I have the time to do that kind of conversion.

I can't wait to see it finished.:grd:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't own any armor or anything tracked, but I like flyxpl's suggestion. Would it be possible to custom fab a smaller idler wheel, or find a smaller idler wheel off of another tracked vehicle that has the same or similar bolt pattern? I'd hate to see you chop up a piece of history to make the rubber tracks fit.

salt6

Take the rear road wheel off and move the rear idler forward.

I have would think with as few of these in private hands you'd want to keep it stock.

Where on the hull are you going to find the space you need?

wehring

purist...

I feel you guys and I am not a purist. I have measured several ways and there is no easy fix via the idler wheel. If there was then it would certainly be the preferred path. On the up side, the completed conversion will be M113 spec and it will not "look" like a conversion... it will have an as-factory appearance.

A modified idler wheel (even if possible) would look less factory than what I have planned.

Give me a few weeks and you will see before and after pics.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

first cut...

Here are some pics of the first cut. I need to pass a BIG thank you to Gerald, George, Skipper, Eric and Franz. Each brought a special talent to the table.

We had a great weekend. The measurements were double checked and the cutting began. Started first cut at 2:15p and had two pieces at 6:45p. We spent today working to make several jigs and fixtures. The two pieces are ready for integration.

Next work day is Friday.

We will test fit the rubber tracks with only one 3" segment removed. If they fit then we will not make the second cut. Hopefully they will fall into the range of the track tensioner with only one 3" segment removed.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

Last edited:

L1A1

Looking at the cross sections in the photos I'm guessing that this carrier is not armored? Maybe just the driver's position?

Matt

wehring

weldment

We started welding it back together tonight. Pics to follow tomorrow. Will be done with this section tomorrow. Just to be sure we will test fit the tracks (wishful thinking) then make the second cut on Saturday. It will be (at least) tacked on Sunday if not fully welded. Can't wait to get this thing going again. It has been a few months since we played with it. This rubber track conversion was supposed to be a 1/2 day job way back when...

We will celebrate by taking it to town for steaks.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

passenger side track on

We installed the passenger side track tonight and it went on. We will test fit the driver side tomorrow. We may not need the second cut....

Thank you Eric for working like a pack mule this weekend.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

Last edited:

wehring

Both fit...

OK Folks... both tracks fit and we crawled it out under its own power. Quiet, Quiet, Quiet... is the best way I can describe it.

We will be done tonight. Won't make steak night before they sell out but will run to town for burgers tomorrow.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are the man. I would have never thought to cut my tracked vehicle in half to fit a new pair of tracks. Even if I had, I don't think I would have had the cojones to go through with it.
[thumbzup]

Is it still for sale? If so I'll bet the price just went up:grin:

NMC_EXP

wehring

What company made the M113 rubber tracks?

I worked at Caterpillar. Did a little R&D work Cat's rubber track. Cat used it on the Challenger ag tractor and combine. Was also used on a Mobile ICBM launcher test rig and for experimental 5 ton truck "halftracks".

The Cat version was a friction drive setup as opposed to the positive cog design.

Regards

Jim

wehring

Done...

We still need to put the rails and tailgate back on but we are mostly done. I still can't believe how quiet it is with these tracks.

We signed up for our county's fair parade on the Oct 13. This machine will be full of kids/veterans in the parade.

Thanks again to all that have helped. I almost always work alone but it was a real treat to have you over for the good food, hard work and great memories.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

Gunner0311

Let the purists do it their way, that's fine. You did it your way, and it looks great!

Experience with the M2/M3 Halftracks proved how quiet and smooth rubber tracks
are on the road. Metal tracks better for cross-country.

Great project! I always thought the three magic words were "six wheel drive".
But "fully tracked armored vehicle" certainly trumps it all!:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks