• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rumblin Wreck Build

bkwudzhom

Ok folks. I had the priviledge to be the A-driver in the Rumblin' Wreck on the night trail ride Thursday night and was lucky to be invited to take the wife and son along on the afternoon ride Friday. I have a few opinions on the improvements.

The LIGHTS:----
I can honestly say that the lights made the night ride quite bright. I'm sure that Walker Hunter can vouch for that as well----if he can still see.

The TUNES:--
The amount of work put into the sound system is obvious to say the least. The best thing is that all of the wiring is neat and out of sight. The speakers are tastefully done and blend in like they were origional equipment. The choice of tunes was great.. I never heard a dull tune once. The sound system was awesome to say the least. Although I don't think it was quite loud enough to cover the sound of our suprise as we topped Monster Mountian and dropped off the other side!! And it did make my 6 yr old son quite difficult to hold on to due to his deep seated need to play air guitar!

The COOLER:---Greatest idea ever! The cooler under the passenger seat works great. Perfect fit! There was one problem with it. A keg has replaced the six-pack of my younger years, makes access in the cab a bit tight. I guess I need to work on that for next year.

The CUP HOLDERS:----Greatest idea ever!! Ok OK OK I know I said that the cooler was the greatest idea ever but there is a trick. A....soda can... is a bit loose in the holder but a coozie makes it a perfect fit!! They are handy but out of the way. Great place to place your soda so you can hold on in the rough spots. No spillage occured.

Thanks for the rides Ben and PM me when ya'll head down this way.

Here are some of the pictures from today's tailgate. We did a low country boil and it turned out great. Unfortunately the game against BYU did not turn out so well.

Attachments

Yeah, After the Falcons game today I plan on pressure washing her. I wanted to take it to the tailgate muddy so that everyone would see that it is more than just a tailgate truck.

bigbird189

really have to say, I am impressed with the work you have done! I would like to put a radio in mine also. Looks freakin sweet man!

mattwspeed

the truck looks awesome! I need a sound system for my crew cab but know ZERO when it comes to running 12v stuff off a 24V system... would love to get some pointers from ya... PS... will you be in Athens for the GT vs UGA game? was planning on taking my truck down for the tail gate... maybe we could even park together but with RED and Black flags on my truck... GO DAWGS!!!

the truck looks awesome! I need a sound system for my crew cab but know ZERO when it comes to running 12v stuff off a 24V system... would love to get some pointers from ya... PS... will you be in Athens for the GT vs UGA game? was planning on taking my truck down for the tail gate... maybe we could even park together but with RED and Black flags on my truck... GO DAWGS!!!
Thank you greatly for the compliment! :D I'm enjoying your build thread as it unfolds. That truck of yours is mighty slick!

Unfortunately, for the GT vs UGA game, I'm committed to going to a game watching party at my buddy's house in Smyrna.

I can definitely help you when it come to running 12v electronics in your deuce. Do you have a list of accessories/electronics in mind and do you know what kind of wattage or amps you will be drawing? If not, what kind of system do you want? I'm more than happy to assist in anyway I can, whether it be through advice, physical work, or both.

Interesting that you live in Clarkesville. One of my best friends is your neighbor over in Cornelia. Next time my wife and I go visit his family we'll all have to get together for a beer. :beer:

mattwspeed

Def give me a shout... when your up this way... what's your friends name? Habersham is a small place and I may know em.. lol.. I just want a small system... sound bar out of a jeep maybe a plug to charge a cell phone and CB radio ... nothing crazy

If that is all you are running you could probably get buy with one of the 720 watt voltage converters that Pyle makes. You can find them on amazon for less than $40. I have pictures of mine (I have two) earlier in this thread. I would not go though all the trouble of installing a 12v alternator (In addition to the 24v alternator that is already in there) for the load you will have. In fact, the only reason I would consider that option would be if you were wanting to install a 12v winch and in that case I would suggest getting a 24v winch instead.

I'll PM you my friend's name who lives up in Cornelia.

there's no trouble in installing a 12V alternator. this system has a few advantages over a converter.

specially with a multifuel, installation is a snap.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...g/56451-2nd-alternator-12v-7.html#post1174226
apache, I respect your opinion but for the installation of a simple stereo, CB, and DC accessory outlet, a $25-40 converter is the way to go. It is far less expensive, can be mounted nearly anywhere, no custom bracket needed, and can be done extremely quickly. A 12v alternator in this case would be like using a machete to peel a potato, of course it could be done but wouldn't a regular knife make more sense? I mean, just think of how the parts lists compare. My option has one part that can be delivered in two days for less than $40. How many parts does the a 12v alternator option have and what are the costs? I'm unsure of the costs but let me guess:

$75+ 12v alternator
$85+ 12v battery
$20+ 2 pulleys and a belt
$25+ Steel for Bracket

That is already a conservative $205 and doesn't account for the fact that you will need longer runs of heavier gauge wire. By the time the bracket is custom fabricated and all of the components are acquired and assembled, far more time and money would have been spent than was necessary to accomplish such a simple objective.

If someone was considering a much higher load, like a MAJOR sound system or a 12v winch, then I would suggest doing a 12v alternator install. Otherwise, it is just overkill. :beer:

If someone was wanting to install a 12v alternator to run several 12v off road lights, I would argue that it would be cheaper, easier, and faster to change the bulbs out to 24v.

Amazing thread and workmanship. I'd love to know more about how you made your switch panel under the dash? Thanks, Jim
I made the two switch panels (one on each side of the steering wheel) out of 2" angle aluminum. Very easy to work with and it can found easily at you local home improvement store. After I cut the brackets to length, I just determined the number of switches I needed and then drilled equally spaced holes. I actually accounted for 3 extra switch holes (2 for lights on the left switch panel and 1 for a windshield washer motor on the right switch panel) for additional switches I plan on adding in the future. For now I have dummy/dead switches in those positions because I don't like the way empty holes look. I also had to account for the accessory outlets, heat knob, defrost knob, and front axle switch). Then just sanded and spray painted it with several coats and installed it.

59apache

Chipmaker
how do you know how i peel my potatoes?????:eek::-o
i respect your opinion, too.:beer:

the biggest advantage is, you can drain your 3rd battery and your truck will start.
with the availability of 12v usually come more and more uses....cooler, cell loader, CB, Radio and so on.

but thats the good thing on this site: different opinions but (most ) no controversy.
my way is good for me and your way is good for you.

With the off road lights i can only agree. Worst thing is to connect them in row....

how do you know how i peel my potatoes?????:eek::-o
i respect your opinion, too.:beer:

the biggest advantage is, you can drain your 3rd battery and your truck will start.
with the availability of 12v usually come more and more uses....cooler, cell loader, CB, Radio and so on.

but thats the good thing on this site: different opinions but (most ) no controversy.
my way is good for me and your way is good for you.

With the off road lights i can only agree. Worst thing is to connect them in row....
Yeah, you do need to be mindful of battery drain under my setup. I actually use two of the 720 watt converters and I have ran the stereo, amp, and PA's all night by accident once and the truck still fired right up in the morning. Having the security of the 3rd, independent, battery is attractive but I usually don't run the electronics for more than a few hours between cranks so draining the batteries hasn't been an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks