• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

run away starter

GUFFEY

I just went to start my CUCV and after the engine started the starter motor continued running. I shut off the ignition switch and the starter morter still was running. I disconnected the batteries to get it to stop. Any ideas on what's going on?

rideni

bad relay or starter switch
I would hammer on the starter with a mallet and see if it does it
else maybe try new iginition switch
or starter relay

Dodgeman1941

It's most likely that the starter relay under the dash welded it self togather. The has happed to my kid's M1009 acouple of times. It's enough that everyone who drives in knows what to do if it happens {pull the relay}, and I carry a spare in the glove box. There and a few different things that can cause that to happen, it tends to be the weak point in the starting system.

mistaken1

There is a thread on here about how to replace the starter relay with a heavy duty unit.

I am looking at putting a 30A switch in the 24V line from the relay under the dash to the starter solenoid as way to quickly break the 24V circuit if the standard relay fails to open properly.

Last edited: