• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run flat removal and installation setup -- anyone DIY something like this?

suzukovich

There is a tool but reality was we never saw one. At least in my motor pool or in the field. This video is pretty much how we did it in the military. Until they started hiring contractors to build wheel sets.

https://youtu.be/i64Jpft86FM

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
When you remove the runflat out of the old tire it is easiest to put a ratchet strap around it then when it is about 1/4 of the way out. pull some more then fashion a strap around the middle and pull it together. It will come out without as much force as well. It also goes back in easiest.

On the big trucks, If i can't do it that way I will take a tire off the hub and let the hub down onto the run flat. it will smush it down to get a strap on it and just alternate straps to get it down. this is on big ones.

There is a run flat compression tool on ebay for sale.

Crazyguyla

There is a tool but reality was we never saw one. At least in my motor pool or in the field. This video is pretty much how we did it in the military. Until they started hiring contractors to build wheel sets.https://youtu.be/i64Jpft86FMSent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk
I've used that tool before, it makes the task so much easier. Basically a strap with a worm gear instead of a ratchet action.

Crazyguyla

I don't know if using the civilian H1/Hummer runflat is feasible. It's built from heavy rubber like the military one, but can be unbolted. I miss the old magnesium run flats. Pita to change, but easier than the rubber donuts.

VegaCP

And I thought changing tires with stiffer sidewalls was bad. I've thrown many pry bars during winter.
I don't know if using the civilian H1/Hummer runflat is feasible. It's built from heavy rubber like the military one, but can be unbolted. I miss the old magnesium run flats. Pita to change, but easier than the rubber donuts.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks