• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run Flats, New Tires, New wheels, questions?

rhinob

So attached are photos of the bits that I have to make 2 wheels. See anything wrong here? Will everything work together? Any chance I can get some advice as to how to put this all together? Called my local commercial tire centers (big truck places too) "don't do run flats for humvees". Gee I wonder why....

The other run flat posts are older and I thought there might be some new info out there I should know. Thanks

Attachments

Sintorion

Get ready for a fight. You have to basically have to fold the run flat in half to get it inside the tire. Considering that thing is a chunk of solid rubber, it is not an easy task. You will need a set of hd ratchet straps and arms like Popeye. The real key to anything that is a pain in the a$$ is generous amounts of lube. You need a gallon of tire lube at your disposal once you begin to wrestle the device into the tire. The bead lock rings are not as hard. I would wait until you have a hot day and let the tire and the parts back in the sun to become easier to work with. Lube, lube and lots of lube.

Barrman

Then more lube. If you can get one end after you have strapped it oblong, into the tire. An engine hoist sitting on top of the tire and hooked to the bottom end of the run flat might help you get it all the way in. Just be careful. That is a lot of stored up energy in those smooshed run flats under tension or compression.

Action

With the runflat tool, it is fairly easy to compress the runflat. I get opposite sides touching before I push it in. Once the banana touches the bottom inside the tire, start letting the strap out. You may have to pry a little, but it will start to pull itself in. Make sure you have the outside of the runflat to what will be the outside of the tire. You may find the compressor gets in the way and may have to readjust or put it on the other side.

DatGuyC

I honestly didn't think they were that bad, or at least expected worse from what everyone was saying. I compressed them with a 3" ratchet strap and slowly worked them out with a pry bar so I didn't ruin the tire. A light coating of tire lube helped it slide easier. Just did the reverse to get them back in.

rhinob

Great words of wisdom, all. Thanks for the advice. So here's a question regarding the run flat and the bead lock ring. How do they orient to the rim? Bead lock ring toward the outside of the wheel, notch and groove toward the valve stem? Am I envisioning this right? And the bead lock ring touches the shallow / shorter ridge of the run flat? There's more run flat ridge material toward the bead of the tire? I've yet to see a graphic showing just how this arrangement is supposed to fit together....Thanks again!

86m1028

Directions are on runflats.
If your picky about your tire tread, plan accordingly.
Notch in runflat lines up with valve stem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks