• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Run gasoline or diesel in a multifuel

bottleworks

therbert said:
I havn't pick my m35 up yet, but I had some pictures taken and " Diesel Only " is printed above the tank. I guess that means that mine has been neutered!!! Is there a chance that they didn't remove the parts requored for multifuel?
A Multifuel is a multifuel. The FDC does NOT make it a multifuel. It only serves to provide a consistent amount of power on a lower BTU fuel. The only modification that can be done to make it unable to run difference fuels is when some were converted to M35A3s. The multifuel was then replaced by a Cat V8 diesel. The A3's can not run the different fuels.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's a3116. I know it's an inline 6 with an Allison auto behind it. Wouldn't mind the auto!

SasquatchSanta

From a personal opinion standpoint I don't think I would run gas in a deuce unless I was also running some used oil or something to protect the IP.

On another note --- not to hijack the thread but I'm looking into purchasing pork fat from a local renderer. Yellow grease is currently going for between 20 - 24 cents per pound. It takes approx 8 pounds to make a gallon. I'll probably have to buy a minimum of 500 gallons and will have to go to the plant to get it. Poultry fat would be better but it's all been contracted out to biodiesel production in this area. Canola oil would be even better but it's also all contracted. I worked in the rendering and vetetable oil (VO) industry for over 30 years. Who ever thought that a $2.00 fuel source would be exciting!?

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i ran my truck the other night with about 10 gallons mix of new auto trans fluid, two stroke oils, and motor oils, then about 10 gallons of offroad diesel, topped with 13 gallons of gasoline and the remainder diesel. it ran a bit funny and slow untill i got to the gas station and got the gasoline to cut the cold diesel and oil mix, but about 2 miles out of the gas station i was rollin about 62 mph no problem

5tonpuller

Some place I read that the multi fuel meant that the make up of diesel here is different then over there. NOT anything in the tank to burn. It also said you can use gas only if you mix it 1/2 with diesel. I know this was a old army book but witch one I am not sure.
My $0.05 worth.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MUDLORD said:
i ran my truck the other night with about 10 gallons mix of new auto trans fluid, two stroke oils, and motor oils, then about 10 gallons of offroad diesel, topped with 13 gallons of gasoline and the remainder diesel. it ran a bit funny and slow untill i got to the gas station and got the gasoline to cut the cold diesel and oil mix, but about 2 miles out of the gas station i was rollin about 62 mph no problem
You better not get caught running on the road with offroad diesel. It is a VERY BIG fine. A local contractor got caught with some in one of his dump trucks. Ended up costing him $6,000. Here in Tennessee they have State Troopers that go around pulling over diesels and checking the fuel. I've been checked twice in my Dodge Cummins truck.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimpyrobb said:
Well, unless they have the analizer to test it, mine's red cause of atf! Innocent until proven guilty!
The local "diesel cop" and I got into a conversation one time when he stopped to check my Dodge. He has a clear tube that he sticks in the tank to check for dye. He said that if the fuel comes back red you WILL get a ticket and it would be up to you to prove in court that it's atf and not dyed fuel. I haven't run any atf since.
I'm not saying it's right but that's what he told me.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
m16ty said:
MUDLORD said:
You better not get caught running on the road with offroad diesel. It is a VERY BIG fine. A local contractor got caught with some in one of his dump trucks. Ended up costing him $6,000. Here in Tennessee they have State Troopers that go around pulling over diesels and checking the fuel. I've been checked twice in my Dodge Cummins truck.
im not sure if that applies to me or not due to the way i have the vehicle tagged as a historical vehicle. not sure if it matters, but i would prolly still get a ticket. my fuel would have prolly came out purple anyways from all the golden spectro i dumped in it hahahaaa :D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bottleworks said:
Are they pulling trucks over only to check your fuel? Private cars/trucks? What makes them think they have the right to do that?!
They are in Tennessee. A couple of years ago you saw them everywhere. Seems they've slacked off lately. Funding may have been cut. When you run off road fuel( or any "homemade" brew for that matter)you are technically guilty of tax evasion.

rmgill

OF course, interestingly here in Georgia when the fuel prices spiked badly, they did a several month waiver specifically allowing off road fuel to be used. The state was making so much money in tax revenue since the tax is per dollar on the fuel and not per gallon that they seemed to feel guilty. So, for a while putting off road diesel in a vehicle was fine.

sprucemt

bottleworks said:
Are they pulling trucks over only to check your fuel? Private cars/trucks? What makes them think they have the right to do that?!
You would have to talk to your Department of Taxation and Finance. They would be the ones doing the checking. Most if not all have a law enforcement div.

gimpyrobb, everything I have been thru including fuel checking, you are guilty before you try to prove your innocence.

If a LEO believes he has a resonable cause, they can and will pull you over. for example, if the LEO doesn't see a trailer licence plate and pulls you over, he then can continue on with any other issue he deems fit, even though the licence plate is there and he just did not see it. Leads to a bunch of hoopla.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well in Ohio, if you speak with respect the LEO usually reciprocates. I have not had an trouble in my MVs, but I am sure there are some with "little man" syndrome.

bottleworks

m16ty said:
When you run off road fuel( or any "homemade" brew for that matter)you are technically guilty of tax evasion.
NOT in North Carolina. Biodiesel produced for personal vehicles is fully tax exempt. It's good to live in NC.

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/News_FullStory.asp?id=4098
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2007/Bills/Senate/HTML/S1272v6.html

Getting pulled over because your drive a diesel is profiling. I guess those who do this also believe that everyone's phones should also be tapped. Driving is a right, provided that you can follow the rules.

sprucemt

In NY, it clearly states that driving is a privlege.

There is also a lot of "profiling" going on also. It is also called "courtesy checks".

And as far as the my new licence plate that was on my trailer when I got my multitude of tickets, you had to be freakin blind not to see that shiney new plate. Trust me, I was very respectfull, took the wad of documents, tickets and advice and proceeded to contact my attorney the next day, thank you.

cbvet

I know some will argue this, but by law driving is a privilege, NOT a right.
You are required to get a license from the state, & they can take it away from you.
And lock you up if you don't have one.
If a cop follows you long enough, he can find a reason to pull you over. Failure to signal lane change, not turning into the nearest lane provided for your direction of travel, no license plate light, ad nauseum.
Once he's got you pulled over, he can use anything he can see without physically entering your vehicle as a reason to investigate further.
Screw up, & they take away your driving privilege.
Eric
CBVET

bugei

back on topic for a second, were early humvee's multi fuel? i was just talking to a guy who swore his humvee was multi fuel.

fwiw, if you get caught with red fuel in your tank in nevada by the time you get done paying the fines you would have been able to buy a new military truck at the "government price". they even check backhoes and bull dozers driving from site to site along the highway around here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks