• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

runaway engine?

preyn2

Zeisshensoldt - No, you don't need to worry about your deuce engine running away. Think about this: this thread, up to this point, has been replied to by folks with literally hundreds of years of experience with diesel engines, and there have been only a handful of occasions. Memorable occasions, to be certain, but only a very small handful.

I've been a firefighter for almost 30 years, and have responded to literally hundreds of flammable spills and leaks in my career. I've never had a runaway diesel, even though I know for a fact I've driven straight through gas leaks (bet your axe it wasn't on purpose) on a couple of occasions.

Buy a big CO2 extinguisher if you're that worried about it. You should have an extinguisher on your rig anyway.

phil

zeisshensoldt

I read that c02 extinguishers would ruin the engine, true/false? If it's true then i might as well let the motor explode anyways. :)

zeisshensoldt

Paranoia is setting in, it seems on a 42 year old deuce anything could happen unexpectedly. Crossing my fingers, I hope I dont have nightmares about it tonight!:oops:

interesting/informative/important thread

TMNT

I read that c02 extinguishers would ruin the engine, true/false? If it's true then i might as well let the motor explode anyways. :)
How would carbon dioxide ruin an engine? It simply starves the engine for oxygen and stifles combustion. I don't think I would want to dump an ABC extinguisher in the intake, but CO2 shouldn't cause any damage? Right?

dozer1

The carbon dioxide extinguisher wouldn't ruin the engine. Would not hurt a thing.

NOW for you preventitive maintenance buffs. (and I know that is ALL of us right?) How about getting your turbo gone through before a runaway situation happens? It looks as if bad turbo seals are almost always the culprit. They are probably 20-40 year old turbos. Get them freshened up and save lots of future headaches.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3 trucks I have seen runaway had sat for a long time. Every truck I own has the fording tube capped as soon as I get it. Keep the mushroom loose and you are done. Absolutely no need for an extinguisher. (though I do have one in the truck for a fire).

Kohburn

if someone is really worried they can plumb a line into the intake from a paintball CO2 cannister with either a manual valve or a 24v solenoid valve like the one used on the horn (a spare horn valve may work, otherwise a nitrous solenoid will definately work) if it starts runnign away you can just flip a switch and flood the intake with nice cold CO2

the entire setup would cost under 40$

Last edited:

crazywelder72

I am not a Diesel mechanic by any means but I am a geek/engineer that has been a welder since i was 16.

That being said to simplify the reason why CO2 will not in any way hurt a motor. Co2 is a gas is a non flammable gas that would be replacing the air (21% o2 and 79% N) with co2 that cannot burn. Imagine if you had a motor and the intake air could only be supplied for the duration of its contents (a balloon for example) If one balloon is filled with air, the motor will run until the air is all gone. If the other balloon is filled with co2 the motor will not run at all since it is not helping the combustion process. Obviously we arn't using balloons and we have a uninterrupted air supply entering the mushroom. So by spraying a co2 extinguisher in the mushroom essentially what your doing is allowing the co2 to enter the motor in enough supply to interrupt the combustion process long enough to stall out.
:drool:

Bcurtman

We had a 8.? liter cummins that lost a turbo seal on the way back from its delivery run. The driver limped it in, and said it had revved up almost uncontrollably a couple of times but then settled back down. We replaced the turbo--but we did not wash out the intercooler which was full of oil---!!!! The guys who worked for me had the turbo replaced and I happened by. They started it and it idled beautifully. I reached over to the fuel linkage and revved it up a bit and the sonofagun took off. Inside a metal building, in neutral, I grabbed the ignition and turned it off, pulled the key, looked for a shutoff anywhere as that engine revved at I'm guessing six grand or so while spewing grey oil burning smoke until it wiped out the whole valvetrain and died. Guys who had been around diesel trucks for years scattered, aetheists began to pray, Fat girls passed athletic men-all running like a demon was after them. It was VERY LOUD-not unlike a turbine engine at a tractor pull. It was very unpleasant. And when it was over, well, she was done. $8000 damage. If you have a turbo go bad and the truck has an intercooler, always wash it out thoroughly. A gallon of oil in there will run one for 2 minutes. Ask me how I know!

zeisshensoldt

The 3 trucks I have seen runaway had sat for a long time. Every truck I own has the fording tube capped as soon as I get it. Keep the mushroom loose and you are done. Absolutely no need for an extinguisher. (though I do have one in the truck for a fire).
I've only had a deuce for one day, so what exactly and where exactly is the "fording tube" and what does capping it do?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've only had a deuce for one day, so what exactly and where exactly is the "fording tube" and what does capping it do?
It's a 1" hole in the back of the air cleaner assy. There is a hose that attaches to it and goes to the air compressor in the fording kit. If you had a runaway and plugged the intake at the mushroom, it would still run (though slower) through this opening.

zeisshensoldt

It's a 1" hole in the back of the air cleaner assy. There is a hose that attaches to it and goes to the air compressor in the fording kit. If you had a runaway and plugged the intake at the mushroom, it would still run (though slower) through this opening.
Oh, I don't have the fording kit, so i can just block up that hole, right? What should be used, a rag or something?

zeisshensoldt

How about running the CO2 hose into the 1" hole where the fording hose goes?
****, that's not a bad idea, but would it work? Is it safe to test both of these methods? Attempting to choke the engine with the mushroom cap at idle and then testing the c02 on the fording hole.

Flyingvan911

If you have a ton of oil being sucked or injected into the cylinders, I would worry about hydrolock once combustion stops. This is not from experience, just a thought. Ofcourse, it wouldn't be as bad as the engine blowing up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks