• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Runaway Multifuel cutoff?

Katavic918

I took this idea from rusty a while back. The only modification I made was I welded a handle extension onto the top of the existing handle. When I open the side engine cover it's right there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

rustystud

I took this idea from rusty a while back. The only modification I made was I welded a handle extension onto the top of the existing handle. When I open the side engine cover it's right there.

A longer handle would be a good idea. I can reach mine though just fine, and boy does it shut down your engine fast !
I had played with several ideas including adding a cable operated shut-off (which I still might do) to the valve by just drilling a hole on the end of the handle for the cable to attach too. Then having the cable inside the cab CLEARLY MARKED ! Most of the older semi-trucks used to have a similar set-up. Then to reset you would just pull the handle back into the open position.
Another idea I had was using a "Cummins" engine fuel shut-off solenoid. I bought 2 just for this purpose. I just never felt right about it since this is suppose to be a last ditch effort to shut-down the engine and your depending on the electrical system to be up and running to do it. You can never fully trust the electrical system to always be there. I learned that the hard way years ago. I was driving one of my trucks home late at night when the alternator blew the diodes. I was able to drive almost an 1/2 an hour before I had to shut down all lights as the ignition system was failing and causing the engine to shut off. Luckily I had a "mag" light so I rolled down the window and used it to see where I was going. Thankfully I was only 10 miles from home at this point but of course it was raining and I had to stick my head out to see where I was going since the windshield wipers where not working ( another good reason to have air operated wipers ! ) . I got soaked but I did make it home. So you can never trust your electrical system to always be there, but you can trust a manually operated valve.

HanksDeuce

Here's the blast gate setup that I put on my bobber for $15 (gate, springs and safety pin). The only true way to shut down a runaway 100% is to suffocate the engine. No air = no runaway. Fuel can be sourced from the diesel plumbing as well as the oil pan. Why put multiple shutoff valves there instead of one clean intake modification for the cost of a big lunch buffet down the street?

Although I swapped my engine to a Cummins 12 valve I kept the stock multifuel intake housing. Just get another deuce shutdown cable and connect it to the safety pin. Tractor supply has a shutdown cable as well, but it has a big red knob that says "PULL OFF".

For more information see my website page dedicated to the air shutoff valve below.
http://hanksdeuce.com/air_shutoff_valve.htm

Attachments

DavidWymore

I like rusty's fuel shutoff...but here's another thought. What about a brake failure? If you installed Hank's air shutoff, you could pull it in the event of a brake failure and use the engine to stop you. Like vacuum braking on a as engine that has a throttle plate. I've tried using the engine in my deuce to stop or slow when it's shut off and it doesn't do much. Would need to be a pretty beefy gate I'm sure.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although I swapped my engine to a Cummins 12 valve
Wow, just 2" from the picture...

rustystud

Here's the blast gate setup that I put on my bobber for $15 (gate, springs and safety pin). The only true way to shut down a runaway 100% is to suffocate the engine. No air = no runaway. Fuel can be sourced from the diesel plumbing as well as the oil pan. Why put multiple shutoff valves there instead of one clean intake modification for the cost of a big lunch buffet down the street?

Although I swapped my engine to a Cummins 12 valve I kept the stock multifuel intake housing. Just get another deuce shutdown cable and connect it to the safety pin. Tractor supply has a shutdown cable as well, but it has a big red knob that says "PULL OFF".

For more information see my website page dedicated to the air shutoff valve below.
http://hanksdeuce.com/air_shutoff_valve.htm
OK I'm going to bring a little clarity to this issue of diesel engines running away from using engine oil. That is mostly true on "2 cycle" diesel engines ie: "Detroit Diesels" . There has been some documented cases of a "4 cycle" diesel engine running away from using the oil mist from the engine crankcase, but since our engines just use the "slobber" tube to vent the crankcase this would never happen. There has also been some leaking "Turbo's" that can cause the oil to enter the combustion chamber but again those where leaking so bad that anyone with half a brain could see the smoke from the exhaust before this could become an issue. Since I check my truck on a daily basis and don't allow things like Turbo's leaking excessive oil, I should never have that kind of problem. The main thing I need to worry about is the injection pump acting up and with my simple shut-off valve that solves that problem rather nicely.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When ever I start a Multi that has been sitting over the winter I always pull the mushroom cap and have a piece of plywood on the passenger fender ready to put over the air intake tube! Its never happened but I have read about it enough times that is is always in my mind on the first start of the year!
Karl

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You asked what engine it was. Just a few inches from the picture you must have seen, was the correct brand listed in his text.

Classic case of, looking at pics, not reading text...

Just funny, easy to do.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, yup...

I think it was Gimpy's avatar pic that threw me off.

DavidWymore

When ever I start a Multi that has been sitting over the winter I always pull the mushroom cap and have a piece of plywood on the passenger fender ready to put over the air intake tube! Its never happened but I have read about it enough times that is is always in my mind on the first start of the year!
Karl

PLEASE NOTE: this will not work! The air cleaner has another small port to the inside! You have to close it off too. Sometimes when almost dead, the engine will burp, blow the board off grab another gulp, and go again as well.

Read here :

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?125810-Runaway-multifuel-6-20-14&highlight=runaway

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks