• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

runnin hot m923a1

absolutemoon

Afternoon SS elites, So I flushed out the old antifreeze yesterday and got a full 5 gallon bucket worth of nasty old fluid. Went ahead and installed a new block heater for the winter. (started right up at 21* this morn) Now she is running hot about 15 mins into the drive. (approx. 220-240) I put 5 gallons of 50/50 back in her. I'm pretty sure she is a 40qt system. From what I see or hear, the fan is not coming on at 190* like it should. Where do I even begin to start looking for issues? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you use automotive antifreeze or diesel? As in the kind with the supplemental cooling agent.

MtnSnow

With you saying the fluid that came out was nasty I would say check your Thermostat for being stuck/clogged closed AND since you stated you are not hearing your fan kick on you need to check your shutterstat

74M35A2

Start with diagnostics. There may be air in the system, check the coolant level again. If still running hot, feel the top radiator hose when gauge reads over 200F to see if it is hot or cold. If cold, your stat is likely stuck closed. If hot, then your fan switch is likely not working, check/test it. Check and compare temp of lower radiator hose. Radiator passages could be blocked. If all seems OK, it is rare but possible the water pump impeller is shot (dissolved).

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must use diesel antifreeze with the supplemental cooling agent in it. You have "wet" cylinder sleeves in the block and it eventually pit the sleeves to the point where you have a problem.

absolutemoon

I am literally laughing out loud at myself. Boy, I feel old now. 40qts is 10 gallons. DUH!!!!!! I will add more than the 5ish that came out and go from there. Thanks guys for waking my brain up.

Carlo

I've been with the site since 2012 and I think overheating is the number one problem with A1's and a2's. I thought my cooling systems were in good nick and one day I had a hole in my A1 and removed the radiator for repair. The fluid at the cap always looked new but at the bottom of the radiator there was sludge! Mud! The antifreeze looked so good but all this crud at the bottom of the radiator. The thermostat was also sticking. I repaired the radiator, did a power flush to the block and now the temp is perfect. I can't get the temp into the fan turn on range. So I did power flush to all my other trucks and got the same results.

randygk

Our M923A1 ran right at 180 degrees but the fan never came on. Replaced the fan clutch actuator and now the fan comes on. I had to run it uphill quite a few miles at about 95 degrees out to get the fan to come on. Yes, check for stuck thermostat or clogged radiator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks