• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running a MEP-005a in a Shed

niferous

Running a MEP-002A in a Shed

I have two MEP-002A gensets that I would like to use as back-up power for my house. Currently they just sit outside with tarps covering them on concrete pads.

A buddy of mine has a shed that's about 12' X 10' that he said he would like to just give me since he is moving and doesn't want to haul off. I can get both of them in there and still have room to work on them. I would plumb the exhaust out and wear hearing protection when they are running.

My main concern is will I run into issues with overheating from running in an enclosed space? The shed has a front and back door so I can open both for ventilation and install an exhaust system on the roof.

I did a search for this and didn't come up with anything so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Crawdaddy

Pretty much so long as you have adequate ventilation from the front of the units to the back and route the exhaust outside it should be fine. The TM specifies how much fresh air the unit requires.

steelandcanvas

A 30 KW genset is alot of generator for home back-up. Sounds as though you have the ventilation concern covered. Run some 120 VAC out there for a light and utility outlet. Being from Louisiana, you probably won't need a block heater. :)

PeterD

:p Yep, that did look big!

No question you can use 'big' ventilation fans to keep the air moving in and out of the shed, so that should not be a big problem. I'd recommend locating the shed far enough from any other buildings that it minimizes the fire hazard risk as well.

I recall someone posting a like to installing generators in buildings that described the required ventilation and such. Not sure where it is however (search might find it). I'd also suggest a CO alarm in addition to three fire detectors: you need both a ionization smoke detector, and a photo cell detector, and a heat detector. None of these detectors are expensive or difficult to install however. (Grainger has them.) Also, a good, big fire extinguisher next to the door would be a very good idea.

Keith_J

Just duct the engine exhaust air (louvers near exhaust) to the outside with metal ducting. Provide twice the ducting area for fresh air inlet into the shed. Fresh air should be on the control panel side. These generators have more than adequate cooling for the engine, having a massive oil cooler. But monitor interior air temperature since higher temperatures reduce output.

For noise control and fire protection, 5/8" fire rated drywall inside the shed will help.

storeman

As I close my store, I'm having trouble selling an 8x12 walk-in freezer which has a 3-phase compressor, so I intend to disassemble the box and move it to the patio under my deck and put 2 MEP-002a's in there. Will cut with a Sawsall an opening in the far end and put louvers over it similar to a furnace filter louver. Exhaust will be ducted out and down with 4 or 6" metal flex duct to cut down on the intensity of the exhaust flow. If that flex duct ended in a barrel of water, would it be an acceptable back-pressure? If so, it would make for a very quiet installation.

BTW: I'm parting out a MEP-003a. Some items already listed in the classifieds and a couple unlisted items spoken for. Will keep building the classified list.
Jerry :beer:

PeterD

Jerry, do make sure the insulation in that freezer is not highly flammable foam! Many insulating foams when burning release toxic smoke, so close to the house might be very risky.

Ratch

Good thread, I was planning to put a mep-002 or 003 in a block wall shed for weather protection, noise control, and fire isolation. Cooling was something I was a little worried about... I'm planning to put the generator in the same shed/building as a coal boiler. I want to cool the genset but heat the boiler. **** catch 22's.

Make sure you vent the exhaust 3 feet above any structure within 10 feet...

All the indoor gensets I've seen have 2 sets of louvers in the walls. One is a large powered set that opens once the generator starts and provides room cooling air and intake air, the other is in front of the radiator to vent the heat. Closing up one of those might overheat it. I had planned to have a louvered door on my building, and a louvered opening in front of the genset fan to pull cool air in through the door and push hot air out through the wall.

Also, are you guys putting these double gennies on seperate feeder circuits to run simultaneously, or having a main and a backup? Feeding both into the same circuit and running at the same time can create shorting/overvoltage problems, plus it's kind of dangerous to run one at a time with each hooked up to the same circuit. The lugs on the non-running unit are then energized by the feed from the running gennie.

Another point to consider is local code. Some municipalities will consider any new structure as requiring a permit and a new assessment. I couldn't pile rocks in some places without a permit when I lived in NY... I just wanted to build an outdoor barbecue...

Keith_J

On the 002/003s, if you duct the engine exhaust air and provide vents in the structure for makeup air, there will be no overheating issues. Running the exhaust through this duct is perfect, as long as the duct is metal. 2" flexible metal hose is perfect, of course 003s would require two. And discharging this air above any other structure will help with noise issues. No weatherhead on this stack unless also baffled as this reflects noise down. Additional shock mounting (a few tires?) will also help reduce lower frequency noise through slab conduction. Two tires, topped with a sheet of 3/4" ply, then generator on this platform should work.

Field generator revetments (bunkers) use this method and really help with noise signature. I built a few in the field, LOTS of work. Usually two pits for fuel drums (55 gallon) would supply about half the filling for sand bags. Did you know 55 gallon drums full of diesel float?:-o

I think we are all well aware these generators cannot be paralleled in stock configuration as the governors are utility class and total mechanical. They can be transferred with that special switch/synch which used lights to show when the generators were in phase, this switch was a make before break type so while each set was paralleled, it was only for a few milliseconds.

Other considerations with back-up power for those with heat pumps is to co-locate the generator with the compressor, using the waste generator heat to help the heat pump. You paid for the fuel which generated the heat. Might as well use all of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks