• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running a Welder on a Fermont MEP 831A 3KW Generator

WildernessJeep

I'm looking to add a small generator to my M936. I was planning on permanently mounting it with a small 110 volt welder (unless ya'll know of a combo unit). I don't want anything too heavy or large, thus the small 831. Planning to mount it just above the right side fuel tank (yes, I'll need to cut and weld a little).

Has anyone done something like this, or have another alternative?

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I'm sticking a welder on a wrecker its probably going to be a big blue 400 or similar and going to sit where the torch tanks do. It's going to be capable of fairly thick stick welding.

I'm not going to cut or weld on the truck if I can help it at all. My general philosophy is that any mods I do should be completely reversible.

Consider if the welding you'd do could be accomplished with oxyfuel.....

WildernessJeep

If I'm sticking a welder on a wrecker its probably going to be a big blue 400 or similar and going to sit where the torch tanks do. It's going to be capable of fairly thick stick welding.

I'm not going to cut or weld on the truck if I can help it at all. My general philosophy is that any mods I do should be completely reversible.

Consider if the welding you'd do could be accomplished with oxyfuel.....

I'd love to mount a big blue on it, but I don't think it has the space in the bed. That whole rotation thing requires a lot of clearance, right?

But yes, some oxybottles would work in the meantime.

Plus, I already have the 831 and 110v welder. I'm planning to buy a big diesel welder/generator, and put a whole welding trailer together.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of a dedicated welding trailer instead of a small one on the wrecker.

Not sure if there's room on the bed for a BB400 or similar. I haven't measured. I'm thinking it'd fit where the existing oxyfuel tank mounts are, but I'm not sure. If not, maybe a diesel trailblazer?

But if you plan on a dedicated welding trailer, I'd forgo nonreversible modifications to accommodate the 831 in the meantime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks