• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running Lights Not Working

FatBuddhaBoo

All was fine until the other day...here's my issue:

Noted Monday morning that my dash lights were out while driving to work and thus couldn't read my speed, etc. Wife was in her car behind me and called to inform me I had no tail lights but brake lights and rear turn signals work. It was dark, so yes the headlights were on. Got to work and checked that the front turn signals work as well and confirmed that the rear tail lights were not working. After work I checked all the fuses and found none bad. Inspected all the bulbs and again all were good (having recently replaced all bulbs) Took dash apart, cleaned all headlight switch connections, replaced all fuses but still the same. Grounds are tight under hood compartment. Took headlight switch out and pulled it apart; found one of the nubs inside the switch severely worn down, so figured it wasn't making contact. Replaced switch today with brand new one and still the same issues.

I can jumper from the Orange/black wire (#1 on the switch harness) to the other connections which results in the taillights coming on, dash/gauge lights coming on, etc. But once the headlight switch is installed I only get headlights. I'm thinking if it were a ground or fuse issue jumping the switch positions would not make the lights work either, which leads me to believe it could be related to the black out lights. Additionally, I bought the truck with the rear bumper and front grill black out lights removed, with the wires for these terminated and taped up.

I've read over at least a dozen threads as well as following the troubleshooting in the TM's but nothing seems to point to my problem. I'm now at day 4 of troubleshooting and fully intend to get this fixed today. Hoping someone here can help.

dependable

Sounds like you know what you are doing and have tried the obvious repairs. I would still suspect a ground problem somewhere. Is the ground wire under dash by parking brake handle hooked up? Has anyone messed with junction block between fuse box and fire wall? There could be a bad connection there, but usually dies not happen if someone has not messed with it. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

FatBuddhaBoo

Sounds like you know what you are doing and have tried the obvious repairs. I would still suspect a ground problem somewhere. Is the ground wire under dash by parking brake handle hooked up? Has anyone messed with junction block between fuse box and fire wall? There could be a bad connection there, but usually dies not happen if someone has not messed with it. Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.
Yeah, definitely frustrating. As much as I wanted to, did not get a chance to troubleshoot anymore today. Hopefully have it fixed this weekend, and I'll look into the items you suggested.

FatBuddhaBoo

Well, after spending countless hours on troubleshooting, I still never found any reason as to why they work when jumped directly from the hot wire but do not work when the light switch is installed. So to correct the problem, I jumped the hot wire from the Service Switch to a secondary toggle that then connects to the wires for the dash illumination and running lights. Works great. Not overly concerned at this point, as my truck is far from and never will be a restoration (that is as long as the lights keeps working this way).

dependable

A lot of GSA trucks have been 'modified' by local agency. Sounds like you have it working. Perhaps an in line fuse in your jump circuit would be good. Some point the problem will make it self obvious, there is probably a short or ground problem in there some where.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a problem with my M1009 brake light once and it was the ground on the left front turn signal. I went through all my light sockets and replaced with new aftermarket and have not had a problem since.

primalnick

Did you ever find the problem. I'm having the exact same problem? Everything is good except the tail lights/ dash lights. Maybe some pics of your quick repair?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks