• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running M818 Without Canister Filter, Won't Prime?

Kalashnikov

Ok, So my stock fuel filter was glogged so I order some filter bases and filters to go inline with the stock canister. I hooked up one of the filter bases and took out the clogged canister filter and now the truck won't prime/run. Is there some sort of safety feature built into the canister housing that won't allow the fuel system to prime if there is no filter? I would like to keep the canister housing there with no filter to catch any water that might be in the fuel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you priming it?

Did you get the square washer in place correctly with a good o ring under it? Did you replace the canister gasket?

Where did you add a filter base, in the system?

Why not just use the stock filter?

Kalashnikov

How are you priming it?

Did you get the square washer in place correctly with a good o ring under it? Did you replace the canister gasket?

Where did you add a filter base, in the system?

Why not just use the stock filter?
Not new gaskets but I took the filter out last week before I added the spin on and pu it back in, primed it like in the TMs- open valve by the intake and pump the in cab handle.

Filter base is right off on my fuel tank which is in a shortened deuce bed that was put on it.

I can get these 10 micron spin on filter for less than $7 so I'm not gonna pay over 4 time that for a canister filter.

Well reading the manual will tell you how to prime the system, a little pressure on the fuel tank will help with the procedure .....
I know how and I've read the TMs...

It's about 3000 strokes of the primer pump.
I've done 6000! :roll: I primed it for like 4 minutes, used half a can of starting fluid, cranked enough for it to have primed.

The spin on is filled with fuel so it's priming that far at least...

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what about the lines from the filters to the tank change valve, try to put air (may 2/3 lbs)to the tank for postive pressure to force the fuel to the ip, you will also find leaks, is you emg. shut off OPEN, did you FILL the canister,

Last edited:

augiedoggy

I use the mightyvac fluid evacuator to prime the fuel system on mine, just disconnect the inlet line at the pump on engine and poke the line to evacuator into it (not a perfect seal) and watch the air bubbles disappear. (air powered one is easiest) Then quickly reconnect fuel line
good luck!

Attachments

Kalashnikov

what about the lines from the filters to the tank change valve, try to put air (may 2/3 lbs)to the tank for postive pressure to force the fuel to the ip, you will also find leaks, is you emg. shut off OPEN, did you FILL the canister,
They have been replaced from the tank to the valve. There aren't any leaks in the fuel system-I pressure tested it about the time I took out the filter the first time.

Emergency shut off is reset.

The canister was mostly full, about an 1" from the top for the space from the filter.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
SOMEWHERE you are drawing air, a good chance the SEAL on top of the old filter, or a nick in the canister seal, ask TIM how long it took for him to find his air leak , it was the filter, also the petcock right before the filter may not be seated all the way, a bit of trash will do it

Kalashnikov

Well I have to know if there is any reason I can't run without a filter??? That was my original question....I'm just going to by pass the canister now anyways, if I can find the right **** fittings that is. :x

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry was late and ok better make shure that canister is super clean and no rust or particles in the base as it will put trash in PT or injectors. Better.

Last edited:

jasonjc

The pick up tube in the tank is steel and WILL rust and get pin holes in it and this will make it a pain to prime. ASK me how I know.

And for the 1st ? I would think your new filter should be fine, but like said above if the old filter housing has any rust in it there is nothing to stop it from going in to the pump. The filter should be as close to the last thing in the fuel system as you can get it. Not the first thing.

So your thought of keeping the old housing after the filter is a bad idea

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forgot the recent discussion of the pick up tube, rusting near the top in the tank.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't realize this is an M818. Have you changed the O rings in the tank selector valve? The valves are notorious for leaking air in, causing priming and starting issues.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well while were on the path to inlightmant I have as of yet not taken out the filter in the PT block. How fine is that filter and could it stop most particles if it was in there.
Not to harp but yea thought more I would not run just and empty canister clean or not it's just wrong.