• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running MEP-803A at 50Hz for smaller loads

diogenescreosote

I need to run 6kW of CFL bulbs on an MEP-803A generator. The CFL bulbs are rated for input between 50Hz and 60Hz.

I want to reduce noise, fuel consumption and engine wear. So I was thinking of turning the frequency down to 50Hz, so the engine spins at 1500RPM.

Will doing this actually result in less noise, fuel consumption, or engine wear?
Is there any danger in doing this that I should be aware of?

Chainbreaker

I can't think of anything it will effect at such a small RPM difference when maintained at 1500 RPM. I bet your plants won't be able to discern the difference between the lights being run at 50 Hz vs 60 Hz if they are the right spectrum CFL.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hertz gauge does not even go down to 50hz... the electronics in this are designed for 60hz, you need to run the set within the design operating range. If this was a freestanding engine with no controls, direct coupled to an AC head... you could shift the RPM to shift the hertz, but this is not that.

diogenescreosote

The hertz gauge does not even go down to 50hz... the electronics in this are designed for 60hz, you need to run the set within the design operating range. If this was a freestanding engine with no controls, direct coupled to an AC head... you could shift the RPM to shift the hertz, but this is not that.
Understood. The frequency gauge goes down to 55Hz. What bad effect, if any, do you foresee with running it at 55Hz?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understood. The frequency gauge goes down to 55Hz. What bad effect, if any, do you foresee with running it at 55Hz?
I predict no noticeable effects of any kind, good or bad. Given a huge runtime sample size at 60hz and a huge runtime sample size at 55hz and some seriously sensitive measurements, you might be able to detect some small differences in fuel consumption and bearing wear rates. (Huge = hundreds of thousands of hours = more than the service life of one machine)

But for all practical purposes it should make no difference whatsoever.

If it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling to run it at 55hz then do so. It wont hurt anything.

If it were me, I'd set it at 60hz on the off chance that I plug something else into it. But even this isnt a big deal due to the fact that something intended for 60hz won't be harmed by 55hz.

Chainbreaker

Interesting that in "TM 12359A-OD/B" on PDF pg 11 (6-13 of printed document) it lists the 803a as 50/60 Hz yet lists the 802a as 60 Hz. Unless that is a typo, I would think it would be OK to run at 1500 RPM using a 50 Hz reading off a Kill-A-Watt meter or similar. Running it at 50 Hz should not affect any internal DC control electronics that are running at 24V or 12V and AC voltage should remain unaffected.

However with that said, I doubt its really going to make much of a difference in fuel consumption or wear to run below 60 Hz.

MrMikey4026

As I remember, most generator output voltage regulators have a roll off feature that drops the voltage if the frequency drops below 55HZ.
This is to give the engine governor time to react to the increased load, that it see's as a drop in ferquency.
Seems to me that was in the Basler regulator information.
I could be wrong, it has been many years since I worked on generators.

Guyfang

Staff member
As I remember, most generator output voltage regulators have a roll off feature that drops the voltage if the frequency drops below 55HZ.
This is to give the engine governor time to react to the increased load, that it see's as a drop in ferquency.
Seems to me that was in the Basler regulator information.
I could be wrong, it has been many years since I worked on generators.
Military gen sets do not have this feature.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks