• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running MEP-OO2A in this blizzard questions

Guyfang

Staff member
Some of the trailers in the early 70's had a way to take some exhaust flex (metal) pipe, and run it downward, from the muffler to the trailer floor, where a fitting allowed you to vent the exhaust out through the bottom of the trailer. I always wondered why the military stopped doing it. Sounded like a good way to keep the trailer cover shut, warm and the exhaust would not be drawn back into the air intake. It doesn't take long to foul up the air filter and the set WILL stop running when that happens.

justacitizen

For those on the sidelines that may be reading this, the intake bypass is not about getting the generator started at -25F it is about keeping it running, as conventional running at those temperatures can prevent enough compression heat forming to allow combustion, so it recirculates some of the hot exhaust gases back into the engine to keep it warm enough to sustain diesel ignition.

I haven't seen to many of these generators and maybe some were made for different climates too " i don't know" but on the ones i have the only thing that happens when you select winter as it is labeled on mine is the intake air is drawn from the warmed fresh air that circulates around the cylinders. I checked the TM for the cooling doors to open and the device is supposed to begin to open at 140 degrees if i remember right. i took a temp reading with my 002A running in 29 degree weather and a fourty mile per hour wind directed right into the fan. the temp at 100% load after about 15 minutes would just begin to open the doors and the temp was less than 140 at the sensor. i was concerned that i might wet stack the engine so i arranged some loading with the clothes dryer and other stuff to try to get it to warm up at least once per day.

Bill W

Yes ( as justacitizen said ) its not exhaust gas that gets recirculated, its hot/warm air from the cooling fan via downstream side of the cylinders. The cold setting is for subzero operation

justacitizen

just a thought. it might be possible and is probable that my percent of load gauge isn't registering correctly. when the gauge reads 100% the engine doesn't act like it has that much load on it. i can hear the gov open and the engine labor some but not like it is at or near any limit. in retrospect i think i am barely loading my generator and it just can't get really warmed up.

jamawieb

just a thought. it might be possible and is probable that my percent of load gauge isn't registering correctly. when the gauge reads 100% the engine doesn't act like it has that much load on it. i can hear the gov open and the engine labor some but not like it is at or near any limit. in retrospect i think i am barely loading my generator and it just can't get really warmed up.
If everything on your machine is near perfect, the engine will not lag. Some units I have worked on will lug down with 100% load but then others go right along, like they don't have any load at all. The only true way to know if your near 100% load, is to get a clamp on amp meter to measure the amp draw on your lugs.
The percent load meter takes it reading from the reconnection switch, to the amp/volt switch and then to the gauge. I've had some units that would not read correctly and I exercised the reconnection switch a few dozen times and everything worked correctly. It could have some corrosion on the connection points, that are making it not read correctly.

Bill W

If everything on your machine is near perfect, the engine will not lag. Some units I have worked on will lug down with 100% load but then others go right along, like they don't have any load at all. The only true way to know if your near 100% load, is to get a clamp on amp meter to measure the amp draw on your lugs.
The percent load meter takes it reading from the reconnection switch, to the amp/volt switch and then to the gauge. I've had some units that would not read correctly and I exercised the reconnection switch a few dozen times and everything worked correctly. It could have some corrosion on the connection points, that are making it not read correctly.
Also have the govenor droop set correctly helps when under load

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks