• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running out of fuel 803

Triton

Looks like I'm going to get to use my 803 for the hurricane, my question is if I run it out of fuel by mistake will it self prime and restart? Or is there something I need to do to get it running again?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
If anything, just fill it and turn it to prime for a while and then start it. Self priming recirculation with fuel return line back to tank.

Guyfang

Staff member
There is an adapter, that you can find, that fits perfectly in the 5 gal jerry can, and the 55 gal drum, just what you need for this problem. Then you only need the hose, (might be in your set anyway, along with the adapter.) The NSN is: 2910-00-066-1235. I saw one in flee-bay, but I dont think its worth 125 bucks. Very handy thing to have.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I'm going to get to use my 803 for the hurricane, my question is if I run it out of fuel by mistake will it self prime and restart? Or is there something I need to do to get it running again?
Good luck riding it out!

Bmxenbrett

The aux fuel line that comes with the units uses a -6 jic hydraulic fitting. Or you can just put a weight on the end of the hose and chuck it in the fuel. Idk where you are but im sure the storm has to be within a day or so of you.
Good luck and stay safe.

csheath

Hunker down and be safe!

There is an adapter, that you can find, that fits perfectly in the 5 gal jerry can, and the 55 gal drum, just what you need for this problem. Then you only need the hose, (might be in your set anyway, along with the adapter.) The NSN is: 2910-00-066-1235. I saw one in flee-bay, but I dont think its worth 125 bucks. Very handy thing to have.
Mine came with the adapter and hose but no pickup tube. The bottom drum/can side is threaded 1/4" NPT. I just threaded a piece of 1/2" OD aluminum tube for a pickup.

For building one from scratch a 2" NPT thread will screw into the large bung hole of a metal 55 gallon drum. I made a larger pickup set for my transfer pump to use when filling my tractors. I used PVC fittings to screw into the drum and bushed it down to the size I wanted. You could find all the fittings you need at one of the home material places. All you need at the gen side is the 1/4" female flare and you could use hose barbs to connect the hose.

This is what the adapter looks like.
IMG_1654.jpg

fuel-drums.jpg

This is the large pickup tube I made for my transfer pump.

PU-tube1.jpgPU-tube2.jpg

Last edited:

Zed254

My 'minimal essential' approach to aux fuel uses a 5/16 female JIC x 1/4" hose barb (https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/FJX_04_05_p/fjx-04-05.htm), 1/4" fuel hose, a section of thin walled tube, and the critical rain cover (yogurt cup). It won't work during the storm but should be good to go after the wind slows down. I also installed a screen on the bottom of the pick up tube.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Triton,

Keep the navy rule in mind. One hand for the ship, one hand for yourself. Hunker down and be safe. Nothing is worth your, or your family's life.

Guy

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Triton

Thanks for the replies, We had to leave because of the potential of having 9 feet more water than last year. The river didn't get as high as expected but the roads are closed back to the house probably till Monday. We went to my mom's house and never lost power, funny how that works when you buy a generator. Lesson learned from this disaster is God answers your prayers.
Be safe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks