• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Running power tools off the slave port?

donalloy1

Sounds like some on-board air and a chain saw would fit the bill!

Seriously, all you wankers would be worry free with a M1031. I carry my generator, air compressor, and welder with me everywhere I go...why is this such an issue???
Sell me yours for cheap! Then I will not be a "Wanker"?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......and half the torque according to Milwaukee. Power comes with a price. 210 #ft isn't going to tackle many lug nuts.

chongo

Yes I have an electrical cord end sticking out of the grill on the driver side front. Sorry I don't have a camera to take a photo, besides I park my truck about a half mile from my cabin and ride in on a quad, no road just a trail. Perhaps I can post a photo in a few days.

Skinny

OK, this scares me

I would become quite familiar with the truck (especially it's shortcomings which can be fixed in the wiki) before doing anything. If you can't tell the difference between a NATO slave port and a block heater plug, a crash course may be needed before something catastrophic or expensive happens. You will want to do your due diligence on this one. Unless a previous owner has spent some time and money on your truck, you will have a pretty decent list of stuff to check/fix.

If you follow that plug it will probably lead to the side of the engine block right above the oil pan and below the exhaust manifold. It should plug into a round disc which is pressed into the side of the engine block. This is a block heater for the coolant.

MarcusOReallyus

Chongo, here's a pic showing the front end. Red circle, right above the left shackle (as we are looking at it), and even with the headlight. See where the grill is cut out and there's a round thing?

That's the slave port.

Now check out the yellow circle. That's an electric cord hanging out. Probably a block heater.

cucvgrillbling.jpg

Attachments

chongo

Thanks for the info. After reading this thread about the slave port I decided it was time to read over the TM's for the M1008. I identified the slave port but still wasn't sure about the electrical cord, being from California I'd never seen a block heater or even thought about one. Like I said before this is my first Diesel. I've wrenched on all my 4x4's, but diesel is new to me. I am looking forward to learning the in's and out's of the M1008 and need all the pointers I can get. I do love driving the truck and I need to go over it thoroughly as I am planning my annual migration to Southern Baja, very soon. A heads up on any extra parts that I should have on hand would be great Auto parts are readily available in Baja, but sometimes you have to wait for things, patience is a necessity in Mexico.

Skinny

You should set aside a budget of about $1500-2000 to start, begin at the front bumper and finish at the rear. All rubber needs to be replaced, all electrical connections need to be cleaned, alternators could probably use a fresh rebuild, new batteries, new fuel filter (highly recommend a spin on), and inspect the IP for leaks. That will take your budget money and keep you busy for awhile. When you are done with that and the usual fluid changes, your truck will probably be ready for a good trouble free service life.

ke5eua

Please remember, not everyone knows what a block heater is as the temps in their areas don't get low enough to need one.

An honest mistake I believe. He saw a standard house plug and thought it was a slave port of some type.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks