• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust in a fuel tank???

commandojd

I am in the process of repainting my fuel tank and noticed their was discoloration and rust inside my tank. Is their anything that can be done to remove the rust and grim from inside the tank?

scoutmanadam

i just had my tank hot tanked at a radiator shop, came out clean as a whistle, you could also do the old, slow way of putting some ball bearing in it and some cleaner and shaking it around, thats what my grandpa would do. i would check if any shop around you can tank it

Katahdin

It might not be rust, mine had hardened algae which looked like rust from the tank fill. Drop the tank and/remove the pump for a closer look. Rust will be attracted to a magnet.

Flyingvan911

I have some white scale in my deuce's tank. I plan to remove it and have it cleaned. I am also going to reroute the Master Cylinder vent line at the same time.

ranchhopper

I got mine spotless by emptying the diesel then addind three gallons of acetone and five gallons of E-85 put the tank in the back of my pick up truck and let it slosh around back there for a week while driving around. After a week I took a look and all the varnish and bacterial growth was dissolved and I dumped everything out the tank was spotless. After you let it dry the crap will have dried out and can be blown out of behind the baffles with an air hose or vacuumed out.

commandojd

Thanks for all the great info! One more thing...have any of you lined your tanks? I heard people have started to do that but have not heard any reviews about it.