• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rust in fuel tank

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys and happy Independence Day!!! I did a search under this subject and got lots of hits and different ideas, I also looked at a few commercial chemical/acid options? I pulled the tank on my M37 this morning and ended up after pounding on the tank with a rubber mallet for awhile getting close to a half gallon of rust out of the tank. Externally the tank looks great and does not leak anywhere so I would like to use it. After reading all the posts in my search I am just looking for something that is reasonably priced, some of the chemicals wanted me to fill the tank and let it soak, this is a 24 gallon tank and the MAGIC solution was 26.00 per gallon, I can buy a brand new tank for that price! To the people who have used vinegar, what type did you use, and how effective was using it?
To the chemical guys, what did you use, how much did it cost you, and how effective was it on your rust problem? Whatever I do I would like to do it ONCE, and I would prefer not to reline the tank when I am done getting rid of the rust.
What are you ideas folks, and trust I am all ears on this one!

Thanks much for sharing your results!
Karl

Csm Davis

I believe that most of the chemical rinse use phosphoric acid to remove the rust it will make a conversion of the rust and then coat with a petroleum resistant coating.

sent from my decrepit fingers

Samuel Deuce

Vinegar can work well. It helps to first put a handful of drywall screws in the tank and shake it around to knock off the heavy stuff. Then let it soak overnight with regular vinegar. After you drain the vinegar fill it with water and baking soda solution to nutralize the acid. Rinse out with water and get the water out with a rinse of a bit of denatured or isopropyl alcohol. Fill with fresh diesel. If it's not clean after one night of vinegar you can repeat that step as many times as it takes.

dmetalmiki

I believe that most of the chemical rinse use phosphoric acid to remove the rust it will make a conversion of the rust and then coat with a petroleum resistant coating.

sent from my decrepit fingers
That is the method I have used with success in the past. Seems to work much like 'cure rust' on bad bodywork.

just me

I used hydrochloric acid to remove the rust. Swish it around for about 1/2 hour. Neutralized with sodium Hydroxide (lye) and then misted with fogging oil to stop flash rust from forming.
Of course, you MUST use a respirator, mask, gloves, rubber apron, do it outside, come up with a SAFE way to dispose of the chemicals, etc.
If there are any REAL radiator shops in your area, they can do this for you for about $100.

Samuel Deuce

You can also use muriatic acid which is 20-35% hydrochloric acid and easy to get. Sold at all hardware stores for cleaning concrete. Just use the same way described fir hydrochloric acid. I used this method on a welder gas tank and had good results. Just be careful as it is pretty potent stuff.

point

Mine was so bad that the rad cleaners I took it to said they couldn't clean it. I borrowed an old cement mixer without the drum, attached the tank to it and rotated it for about 6 hours with a bucket full of gravel. It did a decent job. I fabbed a filter for the fuel pick up in the tank and it has worked fine.

billyzz

I used swimming pool acid.
The name escapes me right now.
And baking soda to neutralize.
As far as disposal i diluted the acid with so much water it didnt even hurt the grass in my backyard.
Gloves goggles long sleeves and i had a fan to blow the fumes away from me.
DON'T breathe that stuff!

GUNNY 155

I had mine done at a radiator shop that deals with the vintage car guys. The inside was coated with a material used by the aircraft industry the outside was coated with a rust proofing and it came with a lifetime warranty. If interested I can send you the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks