• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rust Prevention

does this help any one else

• yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • no

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

344lbsofgetdown

Hello just bought my first CUCV M1009 and i live in a salt state i have had the inside rino lined and the underneath undercoated is there any other ways I can stop rust from comming i plan to use this as my daily drive when I return home any info will be great thank you :beer:

zout

Check at the very bottom of this thread you posted - to links of other questions that are similar to yours. You will find the answer there grasshopper.

Lawrence of Arabia

The day after I under coated mine, I bumped into my buddy at Tractor Supply buying chain saw lube to spray inside his doors. He reminded me of how sticky it is. Think I may try this.

91W350

Our local Rhino dealer has been stripping down Jeeps and Blazers and spraying inside the tub, the bottom of the tub and about half way up the outside. He is really good at matching paint colors, not sure what is plan would be for a CARC painted truck. I am willing to bet those Jeeps he did will outlast their owners. One K5 has a 468 in it with M1008 axles and 48" rubber, it is black with a silver cove stripe and looks killer. That guy wrecked it on the trail and wanted a quarter replaced, that was a ton of work, but it looks great. I will try to catch it and grab a photo. Glen

rnd-motorsports

Trans fluid works better tha oil becouse it will wick into the door skin seams ,plug the drains leave in overnight or at least a couple hours then unseal drains and let drain out used it for years works great I live in central michigan do it to all my stuff a buddy that owns a body shop showed me years ago!

supermechanic

A Marine Corps motor sergeant I worked with 25 years ago told me about a trick he learned. Seams to be,in the years after the second world war, the Corps was not getting any new vehicles, only cast-offs from the other services. (AT LEAST, THIS WAS THE CASE WHERE HE WAS STATIONED)
In order to make them last, they would rust proof them with used motor oil.
After each oil change,the oil was put in a sprayer, and the entire underside of the truck was coated.
I worked on a truck that had seen this treatment, under about a half inch of oily dirt, a perfect chassis was found.
Sheet metal was also perfect.

combatmech

Ok...silly question. How much pre-treatment do you have to do before you apply undercoating to frame and underside of the vehicle? Being a novice aircraft painter....prep is everything. Would this be the case as well?

condor16

I've heard of (but not personally tried) using boiled linseed oil in the way supermechanic describes... I've got a '78 Jeep CJ (NOTORIOUS for the frames rusting from the inside out) and several members on other forums have reported satisfactory results from spraying the linseed oil inside the difficult-to-access boxed frames.

Fortunately my Heep's frame is still decent, so I haven't looked too hard at this method. I want to turn the M1009 into a daily driver, though, so rust prevention will be a high priority - especially since I'm moving up into the rust belt soon. For a driver that I hope to keep for a while, shelling out the $$ for Ziebart type treatment might be the responsible way to go...

condor16

I 2nd the question on prep, combatmech - I'm not real excited about the idea of trying to thoroughly prep the underside of a vehicle... (really kicking myself for not spraying POR-15 under the Jeep when the tub was off - yet another lesson learned the hard way on that project) aua

combatmech

Having the truck in Va at the moment, I want to be able to prevent further "Blazer cancer" as best I can. I am not looking to remove the body from the frame just yet. I like to think that I could do a decent job of underside and frame cleaning/prep work on my own...or have that kind of work done during metal replacement at the body shop. I have one small hole in the back left corner on the pan.
I am considering moving back out to the high desert of Nevada again. Which would be a "healthier" enviroment for any classic vheicle.

344lbsofgetdown

thanks guys for the info when i get state side i will do some more rust stoppers wont be home till late feb though so the M1009 will just sit back and relax for a wile :-D

ODdave

Just drive it all summer, it should leak enough to keep tings rust proofed and well lubricated. Remember, the 6.2 came from the same company as the detriot diesel....lol

wjruth

Fluid film actually works well. It was developed for the navy to use and has been approved by OEM companies and NASA. It soaks in and I have seen it defy gravity and go up metal that I have sprayed. I use it on my cars, snow blower (works good to stop rust and help stop ice build up), lawn mower, the locks on my sheds (because it doesn't freeze up). You can buy it from a local john deere dealer or go online. The guys that put it on as an under coating use spray guns like the wagner power painter. I stumble upon it from a plowing forum I visit, were guys use it to protect their equipment in the winter.
Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor
Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

combatmech

Looking at the links provided...it's the same stuff we use on our aircraft. I had a can of it that I had used on my first oh-nine. I'll be getting more I'm sure.....Thanks again for the links dude!! Thing 2 doesnt have a lot of rust on it....just want to prevent any more from starting

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks