• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rusted axle bolts question

m249cav

Hi there, this is my first post and I have a question. I have a 1989 dodge ram RCLB truck that I'm putting a 12v cummins in and built a subframe for it and will be on 44" tsl boggers, triangulated front and rear 4 link.... I got 2 2.5 ton axles from a 1962 deuce a guy was scrapping for $200, good deal imo. I started to tear in the axle and see what bolts would break or might need to be replaced and the bolts that go in a circular pattern on the third member to the axle housing a few studs unscrewed because the nuts were rusted on it. are they suppose to unscrew or did they strip out? where can I get replacements? thanks!

TGP (IL)

It's not uncommon for the studs to back out.
You can pick up new ones at Napa,CARQUEST or the like.
Then reinstall the studs using the double nut method.
After that reinstall the diff.
Tom

m249cav

yeah I had napa order me some but I realized I can just use bolts...probably just get some stainless bolts and wala! probably replace all the hardware with stainless.

Engineer 1SG

Welcome to Steel Soldiers. I don't think that stainless steel bolts will be as strong as grade 5 or grade 8 studs. In my experience, stainless has a tendency to gall quickly and could break off. Here's a link to a chart showing typical bolt strength by grade: https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx

As for bolts versus studs, there's a reason why the engineers who designed the rears specified studs versus bolts, although I don't know exactly why they did so in this particular case. Could be as simple as for alignment during assembly, or there may be other reasons. Unless you have a strong reason to go with bolts, I'd recommend going back with studs.

m249cav

ARP stated their stainless bolts are good for 180,000psi slightly higher than grade 8. They do not have any studs that will fit it and I would imagine it would be difficult finding grade 8 studs as replacements. Too bad mild steel cant efficiently be anodized.