• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusted on wheel, tire flat... now what?

319cssb

I got a flat rear tire. I would like to change it for a tire that holds air. Truck doesn't run ATM. So I can't drive it around the block with lug nuts loosened . Not that I could do that anyway, since the tire is flat. Sprayed it with a load of pb blaster, I pried, pulled and banged it with a BFH now the wheel is bent and still on like it's welded. What's next?

319cssb

I tried the bottle jack, but that didn't work too well with the jack being sideways. Then I tried a scissor jack. I cranked it a lot and still nothing happened. I will leave it like that for a while. I didn't feel like it coming off in a rather explosive way, with my hand under the wheel well. So far it didn't budge. I sprayed it with some PB blaster and went inside the house. I put some lug nuts on loosely just in case
Any other ideas?

cucvrus

Rosebud torch it will pop right off. It is stuck on the center hub. A little heat and it will come right off. Report back. No torch try a propane torch. Not likely if you can't beat it off with a sledge hammer. Good Luck.

Ilikemtb999

Maybe your bottle jack is low on oil.

Id keep cranking on it but it’ll probably pop pretty quickly so be ready. As others have said, it’s the center hub that’s stuck so you could heat it up in that area if you’ve got the means to do it.

Drock

Rust & frozen bolts are a lifestyle in Florida where I grew up. I had a wheel frozen on a front wheel drive Mitsubishi one time. That I could not get off, even after loosening the lugs and driving around the block. I ended up taking it to a tire shop, the tire tech took off the lugs, with his back to the wheel, he grabbed the top of the tire and pulled out with his body weight, while donkey kicking the bottom of the wheel, 3 kicks and it was off! Maybe you could do something similar with a come-along and a sludge hammer?

MarcusOReallyus

Please post a photo of the nuts you are trying to remove. I have a hunch which might be wayyy off, but I'd like to see what you're up to, if you don't mind.

319cssb

Had the same problem with a rear wheel on my truck. A little help from a torch with MAPP gas popped it right off.
Took an awful lot of heat . Good thing I kept the lug nuts on the wheel. that thing popped with quite the force. thanks to the scissor jack under high tension

nyoffroad

Never seize is your friend! Find some and buy it and USE it. I slather that stuff on the center and all the lug studs and never have a problem getting wheels off. I also use it on radiator and heater hoses too, love that stuff just have a rag handy when disassembling parts cause its messy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks