• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rusted surface prep.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never done this method. Ive seen places that dip cars etc for restoration. What does it take to remove the white coating? What exactly is phosphating?

Just wandering what it takes from the time you pick up your metal from dipping to painting?
A while back I redid my civi-gasser's valve covers and intake manifold but before I took 'em in for the powder coat, the guy at the shop told me to clean them up real good with oven cleaner--- yep liquid oven cleaner. And after that he said to use this phosphate liquid stuff that you cut 1-to-3 w/water and just paint it on, then rinse w/water and let everything dry 24 hrs. Bought a gallon at Home Depot. Anyway, the phosphate leaves a white-ish coat, but very light. So whatever he did after that in his shop, it made the parts turn out absolutely perfect.

AMX

A while back I redid my civi-gasser's valve covers and intake manifold but before I took 'em in for the powder coat, the guy at the shop told me to clean them up real good with oven cleaner--- yep liquid oven cleaner. And after that he said to use this phosphate liquid stuff that you cut 1-to-3 w/water and just paint it on, then rinse w/water and let everything dry 24 hrs. Bought a gallon at Home Depot. Anyway, the phosphate leaves a white-ish coat, but very light. So whatever he did after that in his shop, it made the parts turn out absolutely perfect.

Oven cleaner is also a great degreaser for parts. I have used plenty on machinery and vehicles.

tatra813

Ive got some 8 foot by 2 foot steel pieces Im taking to the powder coaters. Maybe Ill have them dipped. I just dont want to have to do a cleaning , or washing before I go to the powdercoaters. I just want to pick them up and take it over, as if they were sandblasted.

AMX

Ive got some 8 foot by 2 foot steel pieces Im taking to the powder coaters. Maybe Ill have them dipped. I just dont want to have to do a cleaning , or washing before I go to the powdercoaters. I just want to pick them up and take it over, as if they were sandblasted.
Dipping is not the same as the sandblasted effect, there is no degregation of the surface texture. A dipped parts looks as if it is new. I have seen old rusty engine blocks come out looking as though they just left the foundry.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not necessarily so. If you used the needle scaler and goes very lightly at an angle it can do the job without the dimples. The needle scaler is my friend. I also use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a sand paper disk to get the surface stuff off and then a wire brush. Once again though, you cannot rush it.

whyme

well thanks for all the responses, i was optimistic that id get off easy but i guess ill take it a little at a time, really wanted to avoid cleaning the spray gun a billion times but using the wire wheel means its gonna take time and i dont want to leave exposed metal esp since im doing this outside. aua

alot of great info and suggestions

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One tool that has not been mentioned that I have found really useful in rust removal, is a wire wheel looking thing but it has orange plastic bristles and bought from Harbor Freight. Couldn't find it on their website for a link to post.

I think it works better than a wire wheel, and can be run on an electric drill. Works great for getting into corners.

Armada

I've been using this product for years with excellent results. A friend that does very high end classic car restorations recommended it to me.
SEM Products - Catalog - RUST-MORT
I brush it on the exposed metal areas and let it dry. Then rinse off while scrubbing with a brush to remove any residue. Dry, then coat with an epoxy primer. Great for cleaning small parts too, rusty bolts, washers, etc. Pour some in a container and just soak the parts.
For the heck of it, here are some pics of areas coated with rust-mort and finished. It makes for a nicer end result that will last a very long time.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks