• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rustolem Paint Job

99dodge1500

Has anyone painted a vehicle with rustolem before? I was wondering if it looked decent? I want it in gloss, so should I add a clear coat to it? Is it durable? I need to do this paint job for cheap, so if any one else has any suggestions let me know? I am going to be using this on a daily driver and a weekend mudder.
Thanks Folks

ralbelt

I painted my M1008 using about 3 qts sherwin williams 383 carc and 1.5 qts hardner. Put down 2 and some panels 3 coats. I still have about a quart of 383 and a pint of hardner should be enough for to do the 101a1 trailer. I spot primed with rustolem red.I spent 200.00 on the 383 and whatever 4 cans of rustolem was. I only say this so you can do the math on what you will have to spend on about 20 plus spray cans.

KI4GSN

I've used it on some body panels on an old truck I used to have. The key is great surface prep, otherwise it will stick well in some places and not at all in others. I was happy with is as it did what i wanted it too. It's hard to argue with the availability of it, and if you scratch or chip it, then just hit it with some more.

Whidbey

I did rust prep first, wire brush, scrap, and some sanding followed with Rustolem rust primer (the rust brown color), then I mixed Rustolem Hunter Green with about 1/8 the same rust primer. Be careful, not too much rust brown, it turns dark pretty fast. I thinned and sprayed. Seems to match MC green ok with a bit of gloss. See my avatar pic.

jimmcld

I've found that Sherwin Williams or Gillesby (sp?) work a lot better than Rustolium or Krylon. The spray pattern with their spray cans rivals that you can get with a gun, and the touch up is a breeze. Howevr, it is not a long term paint job. If left out in the weather, it will need a repaint in a couple of years.

99dodge1500

I was going to buy it in the quarts so I can use my spray gun to paint it. Whidbey your truck looks really good, how is it holding up? And how long ago did you paint it?

acmunro

I've sprayed it from a cheapo gun before and was happy with the results. It does dull down rather quickly. Some kind of hardner might help- Anyone ever use hardner with rustoleum ? It does seem pretty durable. I sprayed a utility bed used on one of my work trucks and it has been 2 years and still looks good. I think the cost vs results ratio is pretty good.

LOWGEAR

I paint my trailers with rustoleum every five years are so and it holds up well. If you want it to shine you will need to thin it with some lacker thinner. Clear coat will work but rustoleum needs 48 hours to cure. I painted a farm truck with out thinning the paint and it had a lot of orange peal to it. All said it is a durable paint but subject to fading. :|

Whidbey

I painted it a little over 2 years ago. I agree with the the others guys, it does fade a bit. I took phone picks this evening and attached. If I had a do over, it would be spending an extra weekend on rust prep. Pesky small over looked places under the original paint can chip away if water gets under the old paint on the steel and spreads. It just the nature of these Iron Beasts.
I have not seen the Rustolem peel off the old paint or where the Rustolem primer was on my preped bare steel at all. It has converted the exposed rust to black. I preped and painted the bed with primer and left it that way, no rust there today either. It ain't perfect, but I like it ok.

Attachments

99dodge1500

I am liking these odds. I have a friend that just did one it look good and he did a crappy job, with a roller, I think with a spray gun it will be better.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wen painted this truck with gloss black rusto over 2 years ago. Used the brown primer first.

Has held up very well with almost no fading...but the truck is inside most of the time.

I love the rusto paint and will use it anytime I can get a close color match....and...it's cost effective.

Attachments

99dodge1500

Very Nice, this site is one of the only ones to find people using the stuff. Everyone else is getting 1000 dollar paint on there trail rigs, just to get there paint all scratched up. It is quite stupid to do that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks