• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rustoleum flat white and Gillespie 686 roll on

URBNFLX

Found this alkyd enamel to use on my Blazer.

Alkyd EnamelWhite, Flat, 1gal - Paint - Paints - Painting : Grainger Industrial Supply

Does anyone know if it will hold up as long as the gillespie 686 carc sub?

I'm going with a two tone flat white and 686 Tan on my '78 blazer with the factory style paint scheme.

I'm planning to roll this and the gillespie on. Anyone have any pics of their trucks after rolling on the gillespie? Will it come out flat? Will i need to thin it out to make it lay better?

Oldfart

Did not roll it, sprayed the Rustoleum flat white. Used some Rustoleum rattle cans to touch up spots we missed with the spray gun. Also tried some Krylon rattle cans for touch up and it did not cover as well and it ran badly. Can't help with the rest of your question. There is a thread not too long ago about using Home Depot house paint and rollers. That might help.

URBNFLX

I did see the house paint thread... different kind of paint than the gillespie stuff tho. I know that someone has to have painted with a roller and taken some good pics of it.

JDBUCKSAVAGE

It will show as you 'rolled it; rustoleum enamal, you would be better off purchasing a cheap harbor freight gun and shoot it, or use rustoleum rattle cans the paint will last for 15 plus years. more if you tend to it,JD

URBNFLX

been working so much haven't had time to do anything for myself... i was hoping to get something goin before January since this seems to be the slow time of the year for me starting now till then.

SteveKuhn

Not pertaining to Rust-Oleum in particular but I've rolled a load of alykd flat, both back a ways when it really was 'flat' and more recently since the federal regs virtually eliminated true alkyd flat. They should both roll fine but they won't be as flat as the latex/acrylics. It wouldn't be legal.

I'd just suggest one of those micro fine foam rollers (2 - 6") because they do a great job of minimizing roller texture. You might also consider adding Penetrol to increase the flow and minimize the texture. Try some tests to determine the proper amount.

One thing I've noticed, having just sprayed 24 cans of Gillespie - it stays soft MUCH longer than most other modern enamels. Long cure time. I saw trucks at Gilbert that had the cure time and they were great. RustOleum surface hardens pretty quick by comparison.

Hope that gives you what you need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks