• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rustproof your bed

lrjet23

Just to give you all an idea and cost, I thought I would share how I fixed my bed.

First, i started off by knocking the big chuncks of rust off. I used the sander and a scrapper. You do not have to go too far, just get the bubbled pieces off. Then a coat of the Rust Treatment, I got at Sherwin Williams (also at Auto Zone, or NAPA). It cost about $8 per 8 oz. bottle. It only took a little less than 2 bottles to do the entire bed. I also did the sides, and the tailgate. (Where rust was present)

Let it dry for 24 hours. I then hit it with 220 grit to scuff it up.

I then painted the sides OD (Color of your choice). I got the bed liner from Chinamart. $45 a Gallon. Using it liberaly, with time to dry, two coats used one half gallon. (Now that i'm in FL, I'll ues the rest soon) I used a standard roller for the bed, and a wall trimmer to get the edges.

I chose black, for I figured that would dry the quickest in hot, FL sun.

P.S. When I moved, I was tring to be careful when loading, as not to scratch the lining, however, it was the paint and metal of the items I loaded that made marks in the bed. It came right off with the hose!!

Attachments

Josh

Looking good. I'm planing on Rhinolining my entire bed and sides thi umme. I hope it wont effect the troop seat possitiong to bad.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think it looks great too, but I worry about the finish. I have used Herculiner and am a fan of it. I also know its nice to push stuff into the bed. I don't think the liner would let things slide as easily. I am torn.

Jblankster

some spray in liners are a harder slicker plastic like surface. some are more rubbery. you decide. idk which ones are what though.

bed looks great

lrjet23

The stuff I got was Truck Bed made by rustoleum. It slides like the orginal bed, bud doesn't scratch away. I'll snap a pic in the am after the move I made!

Flyingvan911

When I get my deuce the rust is a priority (after safety and reliability matters). I want to put some bed liner on the rocker panels of my van to prevent rock chips. I think I hate rust more than any other natural process! :evil:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a guy here that did it the old fashoned way a long time ago. The cats liked his truck for some time after the treatment. I think it was Recovery4X4 or maybe Steelsoldiers...WVO was his treatment [thumbzup] roflSorry guys!!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, it was Chris(SS). He managed to spill some wvo that Bjorn had given him. I think it was his dog that liked it.

Ronbo

I used the rust killer and then thought Hey I'll put a coat of Red Primer on top of the rust killer before I apply the bed liner. DONT DO THAT!!!! the red metal primer and bed liner do not mix. It will look like someone put airplane stripper on it..I ended up completely taking it back down.. The instructions on the Rustolium say nothing about not putting it on Primer( well it might now since I brought it to their attention) , Just do it like jet23 did , and you'll be fine.

Kohburn

I was actually planning to de-rust and por-15 anything I could get to without a complete teardown. So I understand completely, does hurculiner come in military colors? :drool:

If you thin the bedliner stuff per the instructions you can spray it from a paint gun with a larger bore nozzle. You can also mix colors into some of the liners. Years ago, I saw a brand that you could purchase in any color imaginable. I wish I could remember that company...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks