• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty, Recovry and Panzerwillie's Wrecker Builds

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting question that can now be answered with certainty. My research showed that you can obtain the extra 4" of wheelbase simply by flipping the leaf springs front to back. The problem with this was the overload leaves wouldn't line up with the pads. I considered the frame stretch as well but in the end decided not to. Another option was to lop 4" off the front of the bed but that put the wrecker bed mounts in an unworkable spot. Since I'm using different bed sides, I can adjust where the wheel opening lands. After all the measuring, I will lop off an inch from the front of the bed and adjusting the bedsides accordingly.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know you're into it pretty far, and this is a ford. But I like this.... (Waiting for more details on it, rear axle is a air lift, not sure if powered.)

11121569_10205153379847095_8402161100422540713_o.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason, that doesn't appeal to me. I'd put it in the class of stacks on pickups, fat manboobs and chrome on MV's but it might be right for you. LOL

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I'm kinda turned off now. The rear axle is a dummy axle, just for weight/looks/getting hung up. If it was a tandem rear setup, I'd like it. A shrinked down M35A2 tandem setup would be cool.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, might help with towing something heavy, but that's it. Really screws up departure angles....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kenny, why not fill in the space between the bedsides and the wrecker bed. It would make a shelf/work surface when not "hooked" to anything. Any pics from the rear?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get a couple of pics in the AM of different angles. Narrowing the bed floor just a bit saves hours of fabwork. Also, from the front, the bed appears too wide.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cut out a seam right down the middle?
No, I'm going to trim the outside edge of both sides. Saves me from having to remount all the wrecker equipment and subframe. The rain never did subside yesterday to get the pics. I won't be home in the daylight hours until Wed now. Work is such an inconvenience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks