• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rusty the M1009 comes home

SteveUK

Hi guys,

Steve from the United Kingdom here.
It is now three months since I became the proud owner of a 1985 M1009 – my first MV (pictured on back of beavertail)!
The usual challenges occurred before I could get it home including passing the MOT (an annual roadworthiness test on vehicles older than three years) which involved some steering parts – easily sourced.
Then I needed a speedometer drive gear in the transfer case, supplied by the Hillbilly Wizard on recommendation from forum members.
My brother-in-law welded in some plates on the floor driver’s side and patched the tailgate. My CUCV has rust in all the usual places – but not terminal. This weekend I lifted the remaining floor mats (see pic) and found lots more rust, mainly surface, and some more holes. I cleaned out a tonne of crud from under those mats (which are probably more trouble than they are worth).

Anyway, my truck seems unmolested since being cast in 2005 out of Kaiserlauten, Germany. It is in plain green and the bumper codes are original as they are under the DRMO spray tag (does anyone know what unit BRS (left side) and GP101714 (right) denotes? The stencilling on the doors shows it was earmarked for the Balkans.
The mechanicals seem okay on initial inspection with lights coming on and going out when required. Under the bonnet (hood) is clean and dry. The previous owner had it serviced with fluids, filters changed (two years ago with few miles since), fitted new batteries, door locks, tailgate winder and other parts. Hoses and belts seem (?) okay.
I plan to tackle the interior rust first with new metal or rust treatment as required then work my way around the engine and systems. The frame, body and shafts, steering/suspension look sound under the rust but could do with a blast and a paint or Waxoyl.
Tyres, Wranglers and a single Grabber, look okay but the spare had seen better days. A Grabber and Wrangler are on the same front axle – not a good idea guys?

Eventually I intend to give it a NATO camo job and will probably renew the existing markings.
Still early days and I am just enjoying getting to know it and get it out on the road. My wife even likes my new toy and has called it, what else but, Rusty! add Trusty to that and I will be happy.
Hopefully this will be the first report to this great forum and so far invaluable in its combined knowledge and advice.

But...does anyone know what this is (pictured)? It is like a recessed tie-down arrangement under the passenger seat by the jack mounting and pretty rusty.
Steve

Attachments

cpf240

That is for the stock passenger seat in a civi Blazer. The whole stock passenger seat tilts forward to allow access to the back seat. That bracket is that the seat latches onto when in its normal position.

K9Vic

That is for the stock passenger seat in a civi Blazer. The whole stock passenger seat tilts forward to allow access to the back seat. That bracket is that the seat latches onto when in its normal position.
Correct and when I restore a M1009 before adding the Bullet Liner I cover that hole as it just holds dirt and rust and is not needed on the M1009.

SteveUK

Thanks guys,
I knew someone here would come back quick on this. It will get rubbed down and rust treated.
The truck came with the original tar-backed floor mat which is now a mass of holes, splits and tears and two custom made rubber mats. I might cut the original mat to cover the tranny hump and put the other mats back down after slitting them up to any bolts, to aid removal. That way I can keep an eye on the rust.
Steve

JamieM1009

Is that Northampton way? Not too far then. I only know of a handful of owners in the uk, if you need anything give me a shout. Pm me or email me jamilla@btopenworld.com.

Are you taking it to any shows this year? How about wicksteed at war, I think that's near you?