• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-250 Shelter / Ham Shack Conversion

BAZYRKYR

The plug on the A/C that I was asking about was totally different that the one you have. I'll repost what I was asking him about...its circled in red. I was asking about it because it looks similar (from the outside anyway) to the power cord I'm looking for that would go from my M109A3 to the AN/VVS-2 (V)1A that I'm mounting on my hardtop.

S-250 AC.jpgConnector (AN.VVS-2 (V)1A.jpg

BAZYRKYR

That is outstanding! So many of the features I dreamed up for mine, you've already got in yours! If you don't mind, I'm going to bug you with some questions when I get a little closer to rigging antennas and such. I'm so glad to hear the shelter functions well as a ground plane for the antennas. I have a 2" square tube that runs along the top edge of the forward (tongue-side) wall that I can use for a common mount for the smaller antennas. It's part of the telescoping mast mounting system. I'll have to put a junction box on that wall for the antenna connectors, because the signal entrance panel on my shelter is by the door. That signal box is going to be a pain unless I move (or remove) it because it's huge (26" x 15" x 9") and protrudes into my first 19" radio space.

I've been doing some figuring and sketching for my layout. The neighbors are probably talking with the amount of time I spend in there thinking and measuring--good thing there's no window yet. The curb side will have a fold-out sleeping area, and have a fold-down work bench on the back wall where the current shelter desk is.

I'll post my first sketch of the road side radio area here for a preview of what I'm thinking about. You HAVE to post some good pictures of your interior layout, OK?

Thanks for the stimulus!

S-250 Concept Dwg-Roadside.jpg
I like that drawing...it's really good.

Last edited:
I like that drawing...it's really good.
Thanks, I'm an illustrator by trade, so I have a leg up on this kind of thing. I find it helpful to visualize a project like this at the early stages.

It's easier than it looks. I take a photo of the empty space, print it, and put it under tracing paper on my drawing board. Then I find the 2 vanishing points on the right and left, and insert pushpins to hold my straightedge against. Makes it pretty easy to do a convincing sketch of the proposed plan; the "style" comes with practice! Learned this method from an interior designer when I was in art school in Minneapolis.

RangerBob

The plug on the A/C that I was asking about was totally different that the one you have. I'll repost what I was asking him about...its circled in red. I was asking about it because it looks similar (from the outside anyway) to the power cord I'm looking for that would go from my M109A3 to the AN/VVS-2 (V)1A that I'm mounting on my hardtop.

View attachment 430849View attachment 430850
Looks to be a standard 3-pin milspec MS bayonet connector, in jam nut receptacle form. Look for an MS number, like MS3114E8-3P, around the barrel/cylinder, or on either side of the flange. I haven't dealt much with the jam nut version, but don't think the number would be on the top side as the jam nut would scrap it off. Once you find that number, you can easily find its mate through almost any connector distributor. The mate for my sample connector number would probably be MS3116F8-3S. The 8 in the numbers refers to the overall size. Yours should be much larger.

On closer examination, I can see the 'Deutsch' name around the barrel. Also, comparing the barrel size to the end-cap retainer, it probably is a size 8. This is probably something like a MS3474W8-3P. The number should be right after the manufacturers name, but it isn't visible in your picture.

Last edited:

digitaldust

SO has anyone made a M109 into a Ham radio conversion ?
I started that tonight. I have owned the truck from 2009 and wondered about what it was good for. Now I have new hope! This thread is great for boosting my radio ambitions to take the general upgrade. And doing something creative with all this rack mount radio hardware pics to come later .....

Catfuel

I have the TM's (pdf) that show how to install a GRC-106 in the M-1009. It has all the antenna installation info too so you can make a proper looking installation. E-mail me if you want a copy.
Steve
KA1LHZ

123mack

I have the TM's (pdf) that show how to install a GRC-106 in the M-1009. It has all the antenna installation info too so you can make a proper looking installation. E-mail me if you want a copy.
Steve
KA1LHZ
Would you load the TMs to the manuals section?

11C40

Well Gentlemen, I have read through this whole thread today. Thanks to all of you who have not only posted your projects here, but also those who have chimed in to help. I found this thread, along with a few others, when I was first looking for ideas on how to configure one of my S-250 shelters, onto one of my M101A3 trailers. This was back in 2011, and I am still working on it. I found that my desire for a mobile ham shack wasn't unique, and that quite a few folks had done some amazing things. I wanted to thank you all, and throw in my two cents.
My intent is for an all band emergency communications shelter with both generator and solar / battery power systems. I have two TM10 10 meter masts (QUEM) and will be adding over the air Digital television along with a GMRS repeater on a 20 FT mast.
I passed my technical and General in November and December of 2016, and work with our Local CERT team. My goal is to be able to get my shack up and running and on the air, and also be capable of positioning it for emergency municipal support if needed.
I retired after 20 years in the Army as an Infantry Soldier, and the green machines tie into Ham radio very nicely. I will refer back to all y'alls' projects hints and tricks as I hasten my completion this summer.
In the meantime, I hope you are all well now in 2017.
Regards to all,
Kevin
SFC (RET) US ARMY
KC1GLN

RangerBob

My turn...

Two or three weekends ago, RGS20inophir helped move one of my S-250s from my secret desert location to my back yard. Last weekend I gutted it, now it's time to start the build. Going for completely 24VDC solar and battery power. The batteries are being built from 18650 Li-Ion cells that I'm pulling from old laptop batteries. I'm still working on the power scheme and figuring out how I want it racked. Here's what I have so far, and I've added a PDF with prices and sources for some of the 24V gear I've acquired.

Outer with SP.jpgPeek In.jpgLong Parts.jpgBattery Pack.jpgSP Trailer Plug.jpgPower Wiring.jpgView attachment Equipment.pdf

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I like the ladder hanger on the back of the shelter. The normal configuration for the my AN/GRC-122 RTTY shelter has the ladder stored inside the shelter.

RangerBob

My shelters (AN/TSQ-154A, AN/TRC-190A, AN/TRC-191A) all have the ladders mounted as seen above, but I store them inside when being hauled and when left unattended in a public access area.

Sparky75

This is a great thread! Thanks to all for the great info on the shelters. I own an S-250 AN/TRC 145 V1 shelter since 1999. I have been wanting to make it into a mobile ham shack/remote portable repeater/ARES station since I bought it. I was finally able to purchase a 16 foot car transport trailer to mount it on. The extra room on the trailer is for a 7 KW Honda generator, a fold-over antenna mast and a few other goodies. I now have time to work on this now that I'm retired. It's going to be a lot of work, mounting the box and securing it to the trailer, paint inside and out, electrical modification, etc.
Over the years I have been fortunate to find some parts here and there. The hardest thing to find was a cable reel, with cable and ends. I found a reel with approximately 140 feet of 6/3 cord on it, no ends. I was able to find the 50 amp bayonet connectors (NOS) on EBay for $40 each (bought 2). I saw the same thing listed used for over $200 each. I was fortunate finding them!
This gives me a good start on ideas to modify my shelter.

KA6TIO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks