• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S&S M1078 Dollie Move?

TGcustoms

Hello all! I’m new to the forum and have really been enjoying reading all of the camper build posts and replies! Great knowledge and experience out there!

Here’s what I’ve been trying to figure out…..
We have a camper van conversion company and have built 14 complete conversions in our shop in PA. We have a client that would like us to complete the fitout of his Stewart & Stevenson M-1078 6x6 with a Total Composites box.
The challenge is this….our shop has a 13’ door but has a beam through the middle of the shop space at 11’ 4”. No problem for sprinter vans but his rig has a total height of 12’ 6”. Does anyone have any thoughts on removing the wheels, dropping axles to dollies and moving it into the shop? Or any other creative way to drop the height?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello all! I’m new to the forum and have really been enjoying reading all of the camper build posts and replies! Great knowledge and experience out there!

Here’s what I’ve been trying to figure out…..
We have a camper van conversion company and have built 14 complete conversions in our shop in PA. We have a client that would like us to complete the fitout of his Stewart & Stevenson M-1078 6x6 with a Total Composites box.
The challenge is this….our shop has a 13’ door but has a beam through the middle of the shop space at 11’ 4”. No problem for sprinter vans but his rig has a total height of 12’ 6”. Does anyone have any thoughts on removing the wheels, dropping axles to dollies and moving it into the shop? Or any other creative way to drop the height?
They make casters that can support up to 20k per caster. Not cheap though. Just mate it to a plate that you can then u bolt to the axle housing or to the existing u bolts.

You can always use some budd 22.5 wheels with 255 75R22.5s on it. They are 37in tall tires rather than the 46s that are currently on it. You can further reduce the height by letting the air out of the tires.

TGcustoms

Awesome!!! Thanks for the feedback! I think the Bud wheels and smaller tires would give us the best flexibility. We have a 1” step up into the space we like to work (total tripping hazard) and I was afraid castors and/or most dollies would not get over it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If your customer is going with new tires and runflat inserts you can simply put the runflats on the wheels as a unit and just drive on the runflats. Probably about the same height as 255s.

Should be able to find some recap 255s for a trailer for cheap. I get em for $100 each.

TGcustoms

Awesome!! Thank you! Wow, this is a fantastic forum. We’re thinking that we’ll do the Budd wheels. We can get the rig into the shop up to the beam, there we’ll remove the existing wheels and put on 4 cheap maybe used sacrificial Budd wheels with no tires. Our concrete floors are already all banged up so it may be a good excuse to do some resurfacing someday when we’re not booked up! Hey all….thanks so much for the replies and we wish you all a restful and reflective Memorial Day! Thanks to all that have served and for all of those that gave their lives for our freedom and this inspiring and providing land!!!

coachgeo

Awesome!! Thank you! Wow, this is a fantastic forum. We’re thinking that we’ll do the Budd wheels. We can get the rig into the shop up to the beam, there we’ll remove the existing wheels and put on 4 cheap maybe used sacrificial Budd wheels with no tires. Our concrete floors are already all banged up so it may be a good excuse to do some resurfacing someday when we’re not booked up! Hey all….thanks so much for the replies and we wish you all a restful and reflective Memorial Day! Thanks to all that have served and for all of those that gave their lives for our freedom and this inspiring and providing land!!!
Have thought about old rims too and cut lot of sidewall out of an old tires and screw them to the rim just to not sink in dirt or to NOT cut up cement floor (no garage, much less a floor at my place though).... or try to attach cut up tire to them in a tire chain like manner

another idea of bunch of wood stuffed/screw/bolted between old rim to make a wooden sold inner to roll on. orrr if you got welder... same idea but weld bunch of rebar or ?? across then do the cut up tire idea like above to cover that.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought...do you have an area outside you could erect one of those garage tents and possibly work on it outside the shop? Could be taken down and reused later if another tall vehicle was on your list. Could also act later as a paint booth, etc.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah you dont need a roof ! Its good for the sun to bake down on your head and get your creative juice's flowing like i did (gorilla warfare build) lol!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks