• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S788/HMMWV camper

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chucky, do you have a screen in the cab for driving and backing and another in the box for night time security?
The cameras in the camper go to a wall mounted TV in each corner of the camper interior. So you go to that input on the TV with the remote and you see and hear from that same point out side just like having a window there . And ive got a couple of small screens for the cab and they have 2 input feeds on each screen. The plan is to have the back-up camera with its own screen independent and the other screen to have 2 cameras feeding it . The idea for it is im hoping to make a set of foldover windshield panels that hinge on the the nerfbars on the cab . To protect the windshield and have a camera in front to drive by if needed . And the panels would lay on the roof of the cab the other 99.9 percent of the time LOL. Maybe a foldover for the door glass on both sides as well . Once spring gets here i will start trying to bend some pipe for the nerf bars for the cab and start the interior for the cab .

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a camera should be the first thing I install, I knew it would eventually happen, I backed out of the stall where my lift is and dinged the shop door as it was not open all the way,,,
Fortunately I was going real slow so there was not much damage, and I have to admit it actually works better now!
EDIT, oh yes I forgot, went to a meeting with my retirement money guy and dinged his rain gutter when I backed in to park at his office,,,

Last edited:

Rhino 5/4

Maybe a camera should be the first thing I install, I knew it would eventually happen, I backed out of the stall where my lift is and dinged the shop door as it was not open all the way,,,
Fortunately I was going real slow so there was not much damage, and I have to admit it actuall works better now!
Fortunately I was going real slow so there was not much damage, and I have to admit it actuall works better now!
Yes I need to get one as well. Really not into playing peekaboo with an 8000k truck and a 1/4" plate rear bumper.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started looking at stairs, really do like the Torklift.
So there are some basics to the different models.
There are three types of mounting options, first is just a bracket bolted to the rear of whatever.

The second is a little more sophisticated in that after folding in the steps they lock in place, (the first one would just "swing" if left attached to the vehicle)
Called the "Stow and Go"

The third is allot more sophisticated and is designed for a vehicle with ample room under the whatever to fold up under and more or less flush with the rear of the whatever. this is called the "Revolution"

Other than that there are two basic tread widths, the 8000 series with 22.25" and the 8100 series with 20"

Then there are two types of of "feet", the first type comes with an aluminum "loop" that contacts the ground, the Revolution and Stow and Go come with adjustable "landing gear"

So other than the model specific stuff the steps are actually more or less the same, only in two tread widths.
So I found a seller on Fleabay selling several different sets of Revolution steps at a substantially reduced price, several different 8100 series steps and one set of 8000 series (wider) steps which of course I prefer.

The conundrum is the only set of 8000 series steps were 6 steps instead of the calculated 5 steps I need, OK that is even better as they can be added to or removed from at will and the extra step and associated hardware is good to have, but they were also advertised as having no landing gear, same price as the 8100 series 6 step WITH landing gear..

I decided I can build something as landing gear and my bad knees need as much space as possible so I bought the 8000 series without landing gear, whether or not I can use the Revolution mounting system remains to be seen (do I really want to give up the extended pintle hitch) but something as far as at least temp. mounting will be relatively easy but I may have to pack it inside while traveling to Bryan in a couple weeks.

So I was waiting on my UPS guy today at the gate (he is pretty much here at the same time every day) and was very pleasantly surprised when a 8000 series 6 step Revolution showed up WITH the landing gear YAY!!!

I also wanted the matching hand rail, could not find a big discount on it but it should arrive by the weekend.

BTW this is in no way a guarantee that all the the 8000 series shipped by that seller will have the landing gear, your mileage may very!!

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the steps today, decided to remove the extended pintle hitch at least for now ($350 down the drain??) and installed the steps using the Revolution mounting system which mounts the steps underneath the rear of the vehicle and flush with the rear of the vehicle.
They turned out really nice, worth every penny to my rickety old knees!!!
IMG_20220309_145959966.jpg
IMG_20220309_150040386_HDR.jpg
The matching hand rail is delayed now says it will be here tomorrow...I will have to paint these steps, just does not look right..... but I will not paint the "glow pads" on each step and the hand rail, they say 5-10min. sun exposure and 8-10hrs of glowing steps, like lining up on a runway at night!!!
At least I can still mount the rear winch as there is enough clearance for it!!

Last edited:

Rhino 5/4

Got the steps installed today, decided to do without the extended pintle hitch at least for now ($350 down the drain) they turned out really nice, worth every penny to my rickety old knees!!!
View attachment 861048
View attachment 861049
The matching hand rail is delayed now says it will be here tomorrow...I will have to paint these steps, just does not look right..... but I will not paint the "glow pads" on each step and the hand rail, they say 5-10min. sun exposure and 8-10hrs of glowing steps, like lining up on a runway at night!!!
AWW hell ya. Love it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting ready for the big road trip next weekend, one thing that has had me nervous ever since I picked up the second S788, the one on my truck now is this damn pin...
Pin2.jpg
You pull this pin and then pull out on the knob and it disconnects the outside handle from all the inside locking mechanism and it is just a 1/4" pin with a spring/ball detent .
if for any reason that pin got pulled, say something got loose and pulled on the chain while the door was closed you would be totally SCREWED with no way to open the door short of trying to strip the outside handle and somehow finagled the lock mechanism.
Don't get me wrong I like the idea of being able to retreat to the shelter and making it nearly impossible for anyone to get in so I do not want to disable this feature.
And of course once I figure out exactly how I am going to set up this rig and tear it completely apart again and I add the pass-through that will not be a huge issue.
So today thanks to USPS my new little pin arrived today and will make an "accident" much less likely..
pin.jpg

coachgeo

to open the door short of trying to strip the outside handle and somehow finagled the lock mechanism.
put a small panel door in near the entry door that you can only open from the inside. Open it.... put your arm thru and put the pin (or spare pin) back in place?

temporary for now.... keep the pin in with a glue you know how to break the bond of??? like super glue and acetone???

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
put a small panel door in near the entry door that you can only open from the inside. Open it.... put your arm thru and put the pin (or spare pin) back in place?

temporary for now.... keep the pin in with a glue you know how to break the bond of??? like super glue and acetone???
With the ball lock pin the chances of it "accidentally" coming out are practically nil, also if I chopped a hole in or near the door and installed a panel that could only be opened from the inside how would that help?

coachgeo

With the ball lock pin the chances of it "accidentally" coming out are practically nil, also if I chopped a hole in or near the door and installed a panel that could only be opened from the inside how would that help?
... is your photo the inside door mechanism or the outside door mechanism? In my previous post I assumed it was outside

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks