• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sad day for my M1031 SECM...

Keith_J

One of the most important pieces of equipment on the FMV broke in the line of service. I was pressing in another universal joint, on a civy vehicle, and the vise broke. Nasty snap, the alignment tang on the moving jaw snapped right at the jaw. Heavy cast iron but it is probably repairable with nickel silver brazing rod, adequate preheat and a soak cool down in a bucket of ash.

The vise was one reason I bought the vehicle in 2012 from GL at Ft. McCoy WI. It will be fixed or replaced with equal or greater capacity. And I will invest in a hydraulic press for future endeavors.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would figure the tailgate would break before the vise. My truck didn't have one. I put a baby Wilton on the corner of the tailgate and a big honkin Yost on the slide out workbench. So nice to have a vise (or two) in the field.

Keith_J

Anchor in Fitz NH Is the manufacturer. The part that slides into the base is why I call the tang, it resists bending from the jaw load which is several inches above the lead screw. It broke right at the junction. Clean fracture, I sent a picture to mkcoen in a text.

I have flux for silver brazing, ordered some nickel silver brazing rod that will work. I've had some experience with cast iron repair with brazing, want to use something a bit more fluid.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We should formulate a list of "Gimpy Approved" vises. I think he has a vise vice. Lets see, There is Wilton, Yost and Anchor so far. Any more Gimpster?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We should formulate a list of "Gimpy Approved" vises. I think he has a vise vice. Lets see, There is Wilton, Yost and Anchor so far. Any more Gimpster?
He found a couple down in my old barn and brought them up to the new barn. I'm worried about the way he looks at the bigger one. Something is just not right.

Northern Tool carries Wilton vices fyi.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a few vises. Some on the list to get are Starret, Athol, Columbian, Vanderman, Prentiss, And a few I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

Keith_J

For six hours of wrench spinning, I was bartered a replacement vise. Bolts right up to the existing holes so it will do as a temp replacement. Generic Chinese made, probably older Harbor Freight.image.jpg

all functions work, the rotate with swivel might be a bit useful. Still going to repair the anchor, when I get a round tuit.

Another Ahab

all functions work, the rotate with swivel might be a bit useful. Still going to repair the anchor, when I get a round tuit.
The rotation declinator (or whatever it's called), is a nice feature:

- Don't know that you'd ever have a reason to use it; but you know, still...

A nice feature.

Vise.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry but it just doesn't look as purty as the original. I suppose it'll do in a pinch but you don't want to be married to it for life.

Skinny

Sorry but it just doesn't look as purty as the original. I suppose it'll do in a pinch but you don't want to be married to it for life.
This is so close to being a great girlfriend quote...

Anyone have any tips for freeing up the vice that comes with the SECM box? I was able to spin the "buttress thread" or whatever term you want to call the worm gear. The rest of the vice is frozen solid. Should I just give it a good whack with the sledge?

Another Ahab

Anyone have any tips for freeing up the vice that comes with the SECM box? I was able to spin the "buttress thread" or whatever term you want to call the worm gear. The rest of the vice is frozen solid. Should I just give it a good whack with the sledge?
Would seem prudent to start with 12 hours of a penetrant oil (WD40. BreakFree, etc), before any kind of "whack"; you know?

armytruck63

^Agreed, I don't think it will ever be the same even with excellent welding. Not worth the risk of getting hit by anything if it breaks again.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Grab a 12 pack of your favorite frosty beverage and read this:
http://www.cutterod.com/vise_saga_prelude.htm

FloridaAKM

I bought one of those to put on the workbench to build guns in. Even unbarreling FAL's didn't break it, so it has been tested to the level I'll ever need! Think I paid $50.00 for it 10 years ago.
For six hours of wrench spinning, I was bartered a replacement vise. Bolts right up to the existing holes so it will do as a temp replacement. Generic Chinese made, probably older Harbor Freight.View attachment 547005

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks