• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sad Days, Hats off, Beers up!

carter262

Well after my beautiful M1009 was recently repaired, bad motor mounts and lift pump, it was attacked by a minivan! I mean just got it running again and was only on the road for three days when a mini van decided to cross the double yellow line on a straight road. I swerved right and she struck the driver side rear and the trailer I was towing. I then proceeded to slide into two telephones striking the passenger side door and B post crushing it. I broke both poles off. I walked away pretty much unharmed but had a broken heart.

Well after some negotiating with NC Farm Bureau I got my settlement. Not as mush as I wanted, of course, but it was enough to buy a new 1984 M1009 with 44,454 miles and I kept my baby too. I was not letting her go to some uncaring scrap yard! So a new era begins.

IMG_20160612_181438.jpgIMG_20160612_181438.jpgIMG_20160612_181438.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say she held up pretty good for taking out a phone pole. Glad you're okay and able to ride in another 1009.

carter262

Thanks for the well wishing!

Yea I'm Okay and that is the most important part. People can say what they want about all the new airbags and safety features but a real metal truck gives you an incredible safety feature all its own! Killed a minivan and two telephone poles and walked away with a sore shoulder.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the well wishing!

Yea I'm Okay and that is the most important part. People can say what they want about all the new airbags and safety features but a real metal truck gives you an incredible safety feature all its own! Killed a minivan and two telephone poles and walked away with a sore shoulder.
LOL!

Yes, there is something to be said for Solid metal. Glad you're ok.

carter262

That was some wack, glad you came out OK. What (then) happened to that other driver?
Looked like the driver had a broken arm. The passenger was not wearing his seat belt and went head first into the windshield. They did have air bags though. The passenger was very disoriented, but not cut up to bad.

Last edited:

carter262

So what was the other driver doing to cause all this , texting or phone stuck in the side of their head?
I'm not sure after she jerked across the line all my focus was on the telephone pole. She did apologize to me and stated that "it just all of the sudden jerked left". Funny thing is though that it just jerked left in front of her driveway. We will probably never know.

dmetalmiki

I'm not sure after she jerked across the line all my focus was on the telephone pole. She did apologize to me and stated that "it just all of the sudden jerked left". Funny thing is though that it just jerked left in front of her driveway. We will probably never know.
Another awareness point for us all to file away in our "additions in memory" to take all due care AND diligence, As, I for one will 'pause' properly BEFORE completing maneuvers. (just like that one...haven't we ALL?..though at some time?)Take Care people, and safe travelling.

Brogman

Glad you are OK. You suffered my biggest fear after putting all the work into one of these trucks. You never get your money back from something like this. But one can hopefully get another as you did. Take care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks