• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sae 10 wt oil mk48... where to get

RDUKW

Has anyone purchased the 10 wt oil for the allison transmission? None of my local parts houses have been able to get it.

Thanks
Ryan

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Valvoline make it. Napa should be able to get it for you but I suspect you will have to buy the case.

Many threads on Allison T-Fluid change out. Personally I recommend flush and use Dexron ATF.

RDUKW

Unfortunately all the nap as around here went out of bussiness. I need at least 5 gallons and probably 10.

Thanks
Ryan

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ISO32 (hydraulic fluid) is about the same, other than additives. Do you know exactly what you need?

There must be a tractor supply or Allison trans shop in Souther Cal.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked Valvoline website and was surprised to see they don't make it anymore. Napa online only shows a 55gal drum val 390. I used to sell it @ NAPA but I am 9 years out of the game.

Air Compressors use 10w. tractor Supply possibly?

RDUKW

Mc Master Carr has 10 wt but it does not meet the spec allison calls out for the fluid. I really don't want to switch over to the ATF as that will be a big project to flush and allison still recommends 10 wt for heavy duty use.

Ryan

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get my 10w from a Petroleum supply house here is AZ. It is called Arizona Petroleum.
I am sure there is a Petroleum supply house close to you.

Stalwart

You should use what Allison recomends NOT whatever the military last used. In the HEMTT the US Army didn't want to stock Dextron EVERYWHERE and wanted to use 15W-40 motor oil. Allison said they could but longevity would be impared, and it WAS! That didn't mean they had to supply every FOB with Dextron, in an emergency the could use motor oil, but instead they severly shortened the life of ALL the transmissions. In the end it's your transmission, but I use Dextron in my 5 speed Allison in the HEMTT. Mine shifts crisply both up and down and takes 30 or more miles to get up to 170 degrees, even with an in radiator heat exchanger sitting in 180-200 degree coolant.

RDUKW

You should use what Allison recomends NOT whatever the military last used. In the HEMTT the US Army didn't want to stock Dextron EVERYWHERE and wanted to use 15W-40 motor oil. Allison said they could but longevity would be impared, and it WAS! That didn't mean they had to supply every FOB with Dextron, in an emergency the could use motor oil, but instead they severly shortened the life of ALL the transmissions. In the end it's your transmission, but I use Dextron in my 5 speed Allison in the HEMTT. Mine shifts crisply both up and down and takes 30 or more miles to get up to 170 degrees, even with an in radiator heat exchanger sitting in 180-200 degree coolant.
My one concern with switching is that of getting all the 10 wt out and not contaminating the ATF. Also the Alison manual for the transmission recommends the 10 wt for heavy duty use over the ATF. But I am willing to listen to peoples advise and experience.

Thanks
Ryan

Stalwart

You realize that ATF IS around a 10 wt oil . . .

So use the 10wt oil that transmission maker recommends whatever that is. I spoke to an Allison rebuilder and dealer about the 6 speed Allison in my 1969 Ford M656. I asked if they recomended a switch from 30 wt motor oil to Dextron or some other hydraulic transmission fluid. He asked for some time to inquire with some engineers from Allison, but his first guess was "no, it's old and they used that then and should still be OK." The answer he got back from Allison was "leave it as is", if/when its rebuilt then make the switch. You have a relatively modern transmission when some type of ATF was the norm, ask a Allison rebuilder what they recomend. 2cents

3dAngus

Most motor oils change with temperature anyway. Today, instead of seeing pure 10W oil, we see 5W-20W.

Even Walmart sells over a dozen different types of that, which falls on either side of 10W depending on operating temp vs. start up temp. I have no idea what the impact would be to try to use this oil or synthetic, but I do know they are readily available everywhere, and if I couldn't find 10W, I would not hesitate to use it, right or wrong.

Given the opportunity, I would go with any developer engineers recommendation.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not say on the bottle or in their catalog.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks