• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SAE or Metric???

Bthrasher4

Guys and Ladies

I know this is a bad one to ask, but are US MILITARY Vehicles all SAE nuts and bolts or has the American government started mixing in some PC metric stuff in with our standard fixtures?

Just wondering if I should be traveling with only SAE wrenches or also metric wrenches.

Bob
:evil:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the most part, most vehicles up until about 1990 are SAE. Most since are a mix. For laughs, take a gander at the maintenance manual for the FMTV series trucks. Lots of metric stuff, but SAE is in there too. Enough to give a mechanic a migraine.

SAE or metric tools? Just buy adjustable wrenches and be done with it. :)

Bthrasher4

OK...this is what I was afraid of...the good news...so far everything I have was made before 1990 so I can work with inches and not have to figure out if I should use a 7/16 in. wrench or try and find one of this numbered things...17mm 18mm...etc...

Thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much as I hate dealing with metric, it's not nearly as bad as a vehicle with both.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1 series of tanks, I crewed everything up to the M1A1, had both. We carried 13, 15 and 18mm 1/2" drive and 24 and 30mm 3/4" drive sockets. Also there were 13/15mm and 7/16-1/2" open end wrenches. I recall using the metric wrenches most. The track components were all 30mm.

Danl

Danl M915A1

I don't think its a Matter of witch one is better, But when the two are mixed together on one truck. You are working with a 1/2 in. and you go to losen a brace that is holding your part and that nut is metric and your 1/2 in wrench round the nut, because you should of used a # 12 or so. now you have a rounded nut that you are going to need a wise grip for, and you have a fight of a time to complete the small task. one or the other leave the mixing Siiiii out, and small task will be more fun. screwing up a easy thing Because you did not realize that third nut was metric. thend to make you dislike Metric Thats how I see it

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't think either are better than the other, just a pain when they are mixed...as in a CUCV...

And if your working with older equipment, an adjustable spanner works great on acme thread and square nuts, although they make sockets for the squares.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess here we go with the metric/SAE debate.

Personally, I prefer SAE just because that's what I'm used to. If somebody ask me how long 4" is, I can hold my fingers apart to within about 1/4" of 4". If somebody ask me how long 4cm is, I'd have no idea.

Also, I take a little pride in the fact that even though the rest of the world is on the metric system, we do it our way in the good old USA.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try 3 sets of "spanners"

Metric and SAE you complain - well some of us who have certain periods of British vehicles need a third and fourth sets - 'Whitworth" which is similar to SAE but not interchangable and "BA"... used for a lot of electrical components!

Tried to 'splain metric to my Amish neighbours - they didn't like it when I reminded them that their European forefathers used it, but when they settled in PA and mixed with Americans - they dropped it in favour of fractions!

As much as it gauls me to say that the French invented the meter, I prefer it for cumulative measuring. Had to relearn fractions myself when I came here...

And what fellow doesn't like an excuse to buy more tools!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......If somebody ask me how long 4" is, I can hold my fingers apart to within about 1/4" of 4". If somebody ask me how long 4cm is, I'd have no idea.....
At least you have a good idea of what 10cm is.......:p

Also, I take a little pride in the fact that even though the rest of the world is on the metric system, we do it our way in the good old USA.
No worries, in our metric world wheel diameters still are made to inches... and even the best metric sockets are all SAE sized square drives - and probably will remain that way...;-)

G.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Every M44/M39/M809 I've turned wrenches on was SAE.
2. Every CUCV I've worked on was a mix of both metric and SAE, as was my Father's civvy Chevy pickup from the late Eighties or early Nineties (can't remember).
3. No HMMWV experience.
4. You need to own both metric and standard if you're a car guy.
5. Metric system is superior.
6. I have seen some repro stuff (Newstar type things) that were metric. I like metric, but on a vehicle that's all SAE, very frustrating.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks