• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Safety modifications?

Lorax

I just finished reading Wreckerman's post about his runaway, and have thought about brakes, and ways to modify these trucks for quicker access to shutting down an engine if the engine runs away, and if the brakes lines/wheel cylinders fail.

Here's what I was thinking.
1. Install a butterfly valve directly under the air filter mushroom. Something goes wrong, jump out and close the valve.
2. Install some isolation valves on the brake lines at each axle. If a wheel cylinder pops, close that axle off. If you're close to home or a shop, it might allow you to go slowly there for repairs while still having some brakes, assuming you still have enough fluid.

I'm just starting to convert my M818 into an M813 and might do these things at the same time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why not just get a CO2 bottle from a welding supply store and hook it up to a dump valve? Electric solenoid would work too.

Lorax

A CO2 bottle should also work. Just mount it somewhere. Think a over-revving engine would suck in enough O2 to still run, even if a CO2 bottle was used?

gt1009

A CO2 bottle should also work. Just mount it somewhere. Think a over-revving engine would suck in enough O2 to still run, even if a CO2 bottle was used?
I think there was an episode of smash lab on the discovery channel where they tried to stop a car by spraying a fire extinguisher at it from a car in front of it. The car did stop, so I'm guessing co2 directly into the intake will shut the engine down.

ems4ty

You are correct in the response of Smash Lab (or Mythbusters, Though I think it was Smash Lab Too) that used the CO2 fire extinguisher to kill a car engine while driving. They had to use a ton more because they were moving and in a lead car trying to kill a chase car... However, if you have, say a 10# bottle of CO2 and plumbed it directly into the intake, then yes, the engine would die hands down, no problem.

-Tyler

Pappa-G

I've always been more worried about roll overs! I've been thinking of somehow mounting a roll bar behind the cab thats tied to the frame. Just something other than my head to use as a pivot point when inverted.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
PappaG, I have been thinking of making a headache rack that is tied into the frame to replace the sock headboard. Kinda combine the two to serve both functions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks